• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Recent content by tarbe

1. T

240 Condenser Questions

I had my '91 240 a/c converted to R134a last summer at Christian Brothers Automotive here in Houston. Worked fine for a few months and then started blowing ambient air. Took it in and they said the condenser sprung a leak. They wanted like $500. I bought a condenser from FCP Groton and am...
  2. T

Instrument Cluster Q - 740 to 780

Will a cluster from an '89 740 Turbo be a direct drop in for an '89 780 turbo? tia, Tim
  3. T

New blower spins free...no air moving!

The blower on the 780 has howled since I got it. I decided it was time for a new one. The new blower has the plastic adapter and I had to trim some of the air box as the instructions said. Only trouble is, now my blower spins nice and quiet...but I have no air (and the old blower managed to...
  4. T

A/C won't turn off...

I just had my '91 240 ac retrofitted to R134a by a local shop. ac did not work when I bought the car, and I noticed that when i hooked up the e- wire to the compressor it would run continuously whether the ac switch was on or not. I mentioned this anomoly to the shop when I dropped the car off...
  5. T

780 Odometer - Again

I decided not to put up with the intermittent odometer any more. I had done my 240 and my Mercedes gears previously, so I figured I could tackle the 780. Well, the bugger is significantly different than either vehicle and I couldn't figure out how to get access to the gears. I called IPD...
  6. T

780 Brake Observation

Ever since I bought my 780, it has had a low brake pedal. Kinda soft, too. Much lower and softer than any of the four 240s I've had. As part of my maintenance baseline, I bled the brakes with Dot 4 fluid and put in new rear pads (fronts were fine). No change. Yesterday I noticed that the...
  7. T

780 Won't Crank

We got massive rain yesterday. Drove (very slowly) through about a foot of water for 100 feet to get to my house. Let the car idle for about 10 minutes after I got home, to make sure any water that might have made its way into the engine compartment would be driven off. I shut her down for 5...
  8. T

Rats! Failed emissions....

Took the '89 780 Turbo in for inspection today and failed both HC and NOx. HC limit is 152ppm and I blew 158. NOx limit is 1082ppm and I blew 3093 :wtf: I guess my cat is dead?? Tech said egr could cause the HC...I didn't think I had an egr :oops: I have new plugs (Autolite) and wires, I...
  9. T

Insulate Dryer/Receiver?

The dryer/receiver on my 240 has insulation around the lower half. This car has original AC - it has not been converted. The dryer/receiver on my 780 has no insulation. The AC was converted about 9 years ago by Pat Patterson Volvo in Memphis. Should I be insulating the dryer/receiver on the...
  10. T

New to this board....question

On many threads, when the Mod (Three Fat Tigers) posts his (very informative) response, the thread is locked and I cannot see any posts after his. The thread may have 10 responses, the last one being from mr. xyz, but when I look into the thread, it ends at post 2 or 3, at the TFT post. Is...
  11. T

Closure on 240 No-start

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=111956 Above thread was closed after the last post. I wanted to document for those who may be searching and wondering (like I do) how it all ended. I installed a new fuel pump relay and the car fired up on the first crank! I had pulled the...
  12. T

Got the maintenance baselined, now it won't start!

New to me '91 240. Drove it 1600 miles home two weeks ago. Aside from one incident of not wanting to start on the way home after a fuel stop (started after letting it sit 5 minutes) it ran like a top and got 30mpg on both tanks I checked. The no start was just like the later ones...cranks but...
  13. T

I'm doing something wrong (door pocket cover)

D'oh! This is a 1/2 banana job...but I must be doing something wrong. When I mount the IPD pocket cover, it interferes with the interior when I try to close the door. I have the pocket slid onto the original pocket until it hits the door panel. About the time I think the adhesive is dry I...
  14. T

Radiator gave out...

Giving the 780 some loving this weekend....new atf, new plugs, new air filter. Also going to start the flushing of the cooling system in preparation for new coolant. Did my first of several drain/re-fills of distilled to clear out the old junk in preparation for the cleaner. Ran 10 miles or...
  15. T

Swaybar Links Cut!

I am in the process of bleeding the brakes on my new-to-me 780. Made it to the fronts and when I pulled the tires, I immediately noticed the swaybar links had been hacksawed! Why would someone do that?? Never drove a 780 before, so didn't really have a frame of reference. I did think to...
Back