• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1981 244 GL High MPG - daughter's first car

nice to know the battery tray will be there once the rest of the car rusts out. Do the plastic protection tray help the metal last longer? or does it just trap more acid?

7e4.jpg

I was busy with a remodel, volvo at Davis and I also got BANNED

pat244ti grabed me a less faded seat back a while back and also got me a B21 timing cover. Ryan brought the seat to davis
ZQGzSqm.jpg

I washed it at work
HxrTcG5.jpg

coated an old license frame
P8x2E2r.jpg

I got some silicone vacuum lines and started to install them
ruDkKSa.jpg

got the tentacle monster on
XcnXrBn.jpg

Installed the engine. No trans yet
nylm7EP.jpg

new blue label TO bearing and clip
OiCWhmW.jpg

RFd3Axo.jpg

vacuumed and washed the driver front area
2EX9YXo.jpg

sealed off the popped out plug, I had to hammer the floor straight there - apparently its very difficult to find lift points on 240
gfAk89e.jpg

PBriLg6.jpg

I'm just fucking with you.

But you did turn into Ken but with a powdercoat gun instead of a paint gun
oh I know you're messing with me!!!

funny it's what I constantly think when I'm coating something for this car

today cleaned the passenger front area
96bGB7i.jpg

since I got the car, driver rear door would not open from inside or outside. child saftey lock and the outside door handle is broken. I got it open with a hook though the broken part
ZM8aQci.jpg

pulled everything out of the rear
QQdnpcj.jpg

pearl necklace for the gf
AcUelh7.jpg

I started to clean the headliner
QMNoq87.jpg

Last edited:
Daughter told me the faded look is cool and that I don't need to go crazy....

Sun fade isn't a terrible problem unless the top of the rear seat gets so brittle your fingers punch through it. My experience was with 30-40 yr old American cars, but I assume Volvos probably do that too, since fabric is fabric...

You too can be a powder coater

Have considered it... and I've been able to learn a remarkable number of tasks... but attempting to paint a car as a teenager was pretty humbling, so I stuck with the mechanical and electrical side of things instead. You're not wrong: seeing your exemplary results does encourage a desire I haven't had since perusing an Eastwood catalog 30+ years ago, and a free 30" electric oven isn't hard to find. Perhaps using Prisimatic supplies instead of Eastwood is a secret, but then there's cleaning, blasting, prep... and in addition, I'm still suspicious there's a learning curve that no one talks about. With rare exceptions, nobody produces great art without practice, in any field.

I've learned that when someone makes things look easy, it's usually analogous to a swan gliding across a lake. No one else knows how furiously the feet are paddling underneath. Even if all that work has become second nature, it's nevertheless being done.

Have considered it... and I've been able to learn a remarkable number of tasks... but attempting to paint a car as a teenager was pretty humbling, so I stuck with the mechanical and electrical side of things instead. You're not wrong: seeing your exemplary results does encourage a desire I haven't had since perusing an Eastwood catalog 30+ years ago, and a free 30" electric oven isn't hard to find. Perhaps using Prisimatic supplies instead of Eastwood is a secret, but then there's cleaning, blasting, prep... and in addition, I'm still suspicious there's a learning curve that no one talks about. With rare exceptions, nobody produces great art without practice, in any field.

I've learned that when someone makes things look easy, it's usually analogous to a swan gliding across a lake. No one else knows how furiously the feet are paddling underneath. Even if all that work has become second nature, it's nevertheless being done.
this is true, I meant; go and work at one of the shops:e-shrug: you too can retire under a bridge ... I have coated MANY parts for people who tired the DIY kits. You're correct to assume that it takes a lot .. mostly equipment do it right. Coating isnt that hard but theres tons of prep

Gf and I worked a bit on on this today, doesnt seem like much but there was a lot of cleaning done
91k8nBK.jpg

Don't waste money on old covers. Just find some epa permabanned 3m scotchguard. spray the front and back side, and reinstall. It was just discontinued this year but someone might have some cancer cans left over.
The scotch will restore color a little bit but more importantly the fabric will last longer.
Your welcome. At least your kid has enough sense. See if some wierdo on cl still has some
salty meme
You're only half the man I am, so shush it.

:nono: :nono:

Rub count and UV ratings are on the textiles.

Ever wonder why 400 year old Mercedes interiors are still looking good?
that stopped in mid 90s

been busy with other stuff... today was hot but I got back into it
over the last few days

installed the automatic shift override jumper so car will start when manual- it was hard ok
DI2uNEO.jpg

front carpet is in. Everything I put back in is cleaned and soaked in silicone to revive the plastic
VlmRtQz.jpg

last week I pulled the driver side door trim, got them powder coated. replacing the window scrapers
dULXfLx.jpg

I got a bottle of SEM shadow blue to see how it turns out
middle is the one I sprayed ... its not perfect but looks better then faded, top of that seat was just as bad as the spare seatback
fabric feels the same.
d8VwCCK.jpg

I installed the rear seat, the seat bottom needs another coat of SEM but I ran out...
tTABmCv.jpg

first day of 98F which means my work is like 120+. Work kicked my ass as I had to coat 37ft beams in an oven thats 25ft long normally and 34ft with an extension. Long story short I didnt feel like being outside much more so I worked on the wiring

zy5GqfM.jpg

just so happens I'm cutting up an amazon sedan. the wiring going to the trunk has all the correct wire colors minus yellow. Not that I don't have tons of 240 wiring...
ZbpkWE7.jpg

4bZVYst.jpg

bTEpmUv.jpg

anyone replace the 02 sensor connector or do you have to splice in a good used one? I wouldnt ask but these are shielded
95wkcLF.jpg

Last edited:
The general rule for noise reduction is to connect the shield (to ground) at only one end of the cable. The other end of the shield floats.

Back