• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fuel/Spark tuning for LH 2.4/EZK with TunerPro!

From 5+ years ago here: https://turbobricks.com/index.php?threads/eeprom-burner.340001/page-2
After confirming that the programming algorithm used by my EasyPro 90B programmer was bad, I borrowed a MiniPro TL866A programmer. With the new programmer, the ebay SST27SF256-70 chips, that I bought a few weeks ago, work fine.

I'm able to program them to whatever I want, verify, erase, re-program to something else, etc. Vendor and Chip IDs are correct (xBF xA3). I also swapped one into a Bosch LH2.4 '937 ECU and it worked correctly on the benchtop (not an extensive test, but as good as I can do since I don't have a running Volvo with LH2.4 at this time).

[Note: the chips that I received from ebay had the "SST MTP" logo on them, not the "SST" only logo shown in the ebay listing. The MTP is Many Time Programmable, versus OTP One Time Programmable". Both SST and SST MTP logos are original from SST.]
--------------
If you have a TL866 series programmer, don't upgrade the firmware -- apparently there are lots of counterfeits and the firmware upgrade will brick them (but there's a way to recover, google is your friend).

Arghh, so the tl866ii plus I ordered got cancelled, and now they seem to go for trice the price 🤔
Will either of these Willem work with the MST chips:

and how am I supposed to connect it to the computer - it seems to be db26 instead of db9 😞

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231025_144611_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20231025_144611_AliExpress.jpg
    870.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20231025_144548_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20231025_144548_AliExpress.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 9
^^^ That's a slightly updated clone of the old Willem EPROM Programmer, which was popular in the 1990's. It will probably work with the SST chips, but you need an ancient PC with a parallel printer port to drive it (and it may need an old version of Windows too). You're better off with the new generation of the TL866 programmer.

T48 is currently the latest version. Seems to be around the same price as the older version.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-25-18-16-11-965_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-25-18-16-11-965_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 10
^^^ That's a slightly updated clone of the old Willem EPROM Programmer, which was popular in the 1990's. It will probably work with the SST chips, but you need an ancient PC with a parallel printer port to drive it (and it may need an old version of Windows too). You're better off with the new generation of the TL866 programmer.
I do have an old Dell D630 running Windows XP and 7 for other types of old school hw/sw. The docking station for this has a db25 parallel port. But if anything newer or better exist for around the same price that would be nice, especially if it includes a USB connection.

Last edited:
The SST27SF256 @DIP28 chips were supported by the previous versions, and are still listed as supported by the T48 version. http://www.xgecu.com/EN/index.html You just need the basic programmer and the included USB cable. If you have any other future projects, the adapter kit might be useful. I'm not sure what the ISP kit gives you - it's probably for much newer electronics with a SPI or eMMC chip soldered down to the PCB.

I originally used a Willem with an old windows 98 pentium 3 machine and it worked well with the old school window EPROMs. It seemed to only get a dozen or so burns on the SST flash chips sourced from Moates before they died though, not sure what was up with that. Note you cannot use a USB to parallel/DB25 adapter with those, it needs a REAL parallel port that shows up at the 0x378 ish IO address in the PC, so something old.

I upgraded to TL866 and it was very worth it. I sourced mine from https://eater.net/shop and it is more pricey but it you can be sure it is a genuine one.

About your initial question about EZK/knock logging, at one point I was getting knock data from the internal knock processing routines from EZK and it was cool but honestly not super useful at the end of the day. A headphone amp and second knock sensor bolted over the top of the original and listening in was way more telling from a tuning perspective.

edit: i found an old screenshot of EZK log:
2021-05-12-084106_1366x768_scrot.png
the kn* variables are the per cylinder noise level and kp* are per cylinder pulled timing

Last edited:
^^^ interesting graph - I'll assume your seconds should be scaled by 100. Was this on a Dyno trying to hold ~3000rpm and a knowingly over-advanced map, or low octane gas? The interesting part is that the per-cylinder knock retard isn't very consistent. Sometimes all 4 cyls are retarded about the same, sometimes only 1 or 2 cyls are retarded. But overall, this shows the EZK retard algorithm nicely.

sorry i forgot to respond. IIRC I was messing with I think a knock sensitivity map in that previous picture. The time axis is all screwed up and non-linear as it was synchronous to engine rpm and 1 log record per 4 ignition event. I think this picture is what it is like during a pull when I didn't molest the maps:

2021-05-11-090010_1366x768_scrot (1).png

Back