• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S60R brakes on a 240

aristg

El Greco Capitano
300+ Club
Hello people,

i am planning on buying some S60R rotors/calipers/adapters for my 240's front and rear.

I saw IPD is selling a big brake kit only for the front .. which lead me into the following questions especially for the rear.

1) Can the rear rotors be used in a way that the original e-brake (parking brake) setup can be maintained? I saw a post by Homer who cut the drum from a 240 rotor and stuck it into a Porsche rotor, but won't this change the rotor placing and "ruin" the adapter distances?

2) I saw on Dave Barton's site that he plugs two of the brake junction holes (one on each side), since the R calipers have only one input line, however why not to use both of these lines on the same caliper line input instead of plugging one of them?

3) Which would be the order of preference between S60R, RX7 and Willwood calipers? Anyone that has a specific part no or even a model from Willwood that would also fit? Somewhere to buy a front and rear big brake kit (including adapters, calipers and maybe rotors) ?

Thanx ;-)

It's a simple fix for the rear adapters with the parking brake drum. Just space out the caliper with some standoffs. (6.5mm if I remember correctly.) Where have you sourced adapters for the rear?
You could combine lines.
I'd prefer an OEM caliper over wilwoods any day of the week. The lack of dust boots is a major killer for me on a street driven car.

2) I saw on Dave Barton's site that he plugs two of the brake junction holes (one on each side), since the R calipers have only one input line, however why not to use both of these lines on the same caliper line input instead of plugging one of them?

You can use the junction block from a 740. It is the same as the 240 junction block but it has 2 less outlets.

I shot RSI an email for information about the rear adapters. They are selling an R-Big-Brake-Adapter-Kit for $150, so i suppose it could be front+rear. If not, will head to a machine shop !

My biggest problem are rotors. Since S60R/V70R do not exist here and each of them should be >8 kgr, it would be probably not very economical to order them from anywhere. But i will look around for rotors that could fit on a S60R, maybe Brembo, Galpher or anything else i can find. Only the 5x108 could be a PITA, however i suppose they can be re-drilled to that pattern

Wow .. THAT'S a price !! Amazing !! Well, he will probably have them for another year over there!

Just curious, isn't that price close to the new ones?

Also anyone that knows what is the weight of a front and a rear caliper ?

Last edited:
Wow .. THAT'S a price !! Amazing !! Well, he will probably have them for another year over there!

Just curious, isn't that price close to the new ones?

Also anyone that knows what is the weight of a front and a rear caliper ?

Yes, you can get brand new front and rear calipers from the dealership for less than 1000 US dollars. I have the calipers off my car right now and will weigh them for you.

EDIT:

Front Caliper (Loaded) - ~ 10 lbs
Rear Caliper (Loaded) - ~ 7 lbs

Thanks everybody ..

Seems that RSI makes only front adapters.. So anyone who knows someone (!) that makes all 4 of them ?

You asked about the weight of the calipers, which are actually lighter than a stock 240 caliper...

But the rotors are about 7-8 lb heavier. Stock front S60R rotors weigh almost 22 lb.

Wow .. Swe posted a link of SUPER CHEAP rear adapters. They seem to cost about 45 euros per set!! I am not sure though if they offer front adapters, so i will shoot them an email.

They also have S60R front + rear rotors for 65 euros per piece, don't know what brand but they sound cheap as well !!

Well, i suppose that the big thing about these rotors/calipers is their stopping power, which compared to the stock 240 would probably be epic...
Personally i prefer to be able to stop quicker than accelerating quicker :p

Performance-wise, i will be able to tell in a few weeks time.. Maybe someone else can answer this for now!

increasing rotating mass by 36% doesn't sound like a performance mod.

Like all mods, it's a trade off. That mass makes it a big heat sink which can scrub off a lot more power, which translates to far higher resistance to fade. The price you pay for higher fade resistance is weight/rotating mass.

Well, i suppose that the big thing about these rotors/calipers is their stopping power, which compared to the stock 240 would probably be epic...
Personally i prefer to be able to stop quicker than accelerating quicker :p

Your tires are usually your limiting factor in quick stopping. Unless your current brakes are unable to lock up your wheels, the only gains a big brake kit will provide are lower pedal force and higher resistance to fade.

increasing rotating mass by 36% doesn't sound like a performance mod.

It is this mentality that makes me question some folks on turbobricks.

Yes, it might be a 36% increase in difference of rotating mass from one rotor to the next, however to say that it has a 36% increase in rotating mass is just not correct.

Rotating mass is everything that is spinning within the drivetrain. So to calculate increase in % of rotating mass, all items rotating in the drivetrain would need to be weighed and put into the calculation.

Either way though. Lets not upgrade to a far superior braking system because the 3" larger rotor adds 16 lbs to our Volvo 240. This thought process just seems ridiculous to me.

On a total separate note, I recently did the r brakes up front on my ls swapped 242. Car weight with a full tank of fuel and fluids is 3,098 lbs. These brakes are amazing. I installed BREMBO rotors and factory Volvo calipers with Hawk pads and the car stops amazingly well. I am running a 235/40/18 on an 8.5" wide wheel and front traction has not been a big issue yet.

I would do an r brake setup in the rear if I could fit it, but cannot space the rears out anymore.

Sean

So probably front adapters from RSI (this is where IPD also buys them) and rear from l-m-r.

If anyone knows any other places .. please do tell us :)

Also asked l-m-r they said they don't do front .. yet !

EDIT: Sean what spacers are you using and what offset wheels to run such a wide setup?

Last edited:
So probably front adapters from RSI (this is where IPD also buys them) and rear from l-m-r.

If anyone knows any other places .. please do tell us :)

Also asked l-m-r they said they don't do front .. yet !

EDIT: Sean what spacers are you using and what offset wheels to run such a wide setup?

Part of the reason for doing this upgrade for me was that I was terribly sick of running adapters to get descent wheels on my car. I am currently running 18x8.5" 5x108 CCW Classics I am pretty sure that I ended up with an et-15 on the fronts......its been a while now so I am not 100% sure. I think I have a few mm spacer on there just to clear the strut tube.

Rears are 9's :omg:

Back