• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Leaving the car on jackstands bad idea? New dash crack...

zachberry

93 240. After changing my oil yesterday I left the car on jack-stands, since I have a new radiator coming and figured it would be helpful to leave it up. Today I noticed this:

mkLKvTA.jpg

tAMObuH.jpg

I suppose the weight of the car resting on those two jack-stands put stress on the dash? Has that happened to anyone else?

Considering that the dash is not structural... Prolly not.

That said... It may just be worth poking around under the car to be sure that the nose isn't trying to fall off due to rust.

I put my 81 245 on stands for a week using those inner chassis rails at the front and they were starting to dent from the weight

The only way that jackstands caused this, is if your floorpan is rotted out.

Is the windshield cracked? Do the doors close properly?

Return the car to the stands and inspect the bottom side of the car. If you can push up from below with, say, a 3/8 inch extension - you have a rotting floorboard.

So it appears that I'm a total moron. Got some pics my brother took of when I first got the car about a month ago and that tear has been there the whole time. I just haven't noticed until yesterday :oops: I've been in the driver's seat, under the hood and under the car so much that I guess I just never saw it.

Still, the tear is a little upsetting, but I do feel a little better that it wasn't me that did it, heh. Still will check underneath the car for the floorboard.

Look on the bright side, maybe it was some ones attempt at a heater core replacement.

You might have a fresh heater core.........and a ****ed up dash.

Back