• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Lifted coilover 1991 245 Project

MSGGrunt

I'm the new owner of a 1991 240 automatic wagon. The car has 168,500 miles. Car was originally sold in PA then went to VA, to AZ to Cali, across the country to Nova Scotia, back into the US to NH and now to MA. No accident car fax, odometer is working, but will get new gears before it craps out. The car fired right up even on a cold start. Idled perfectly, no smoke, drove and stopped perfectly on a two hour drive home.

As I do with all my cars it will get a good base-lining including timing belt, water pump, all new belts and hoses, new fluids, complete tune up, etc... The interior is rather filthy, but in good condition. Nothing a bit of time with a shop vac and carpet cleaner won't take care of.

Car was a daily driver up until this past month. I think I got a good deal at $1500.00

Came with all original manuals, original jack and original tool kit.

Clean coat on the hood and roof has "patina'd"

Owners says recent timing belt, but for what they cost I'll replace it.
Rear bushing have all been replace with poly bushing.
Summer and studded winter snow tires included.

Needs:
Blower motor replaced. Ordered.
New door map pockets. Already ordered new ones
Yellowed headlights replaced. New ones are on the way.
Replace the two sun visors and clips. Not easy to find the round mount style.
Rear washer fixed
Some rust around the passenger's rear wheel well fixed. Looks like an earlier repair that has started to bubble.
Antenna not working
Factory radio/cassette missing. An OCD thing, but I loath newer style head units in these older Euro cars. Fortunately AM/FM is fine for my needs.
One front speaker cover needs replacing.
Dash is cracked.
AC system needs to be assessed.

Interior is being cleaned and the carpets re-dyed.
The seats cleaned.
Timing belt, water pump, plugs, dist. cap, rotor, hoses being replaced.
New headlights are on their way.

Attachments

• 00M0M_kao4k7HvB1Q_1200x900.jpg
    00M0M_kao4k7HvB1Q_1200x900.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 240
  • 01515_1X7NQEweiJf_1200x900.jpg
    01515_1X7NQEweiJf_1200x900.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCN0994.jpg
    DSCN0994.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCN0978.JPG
    DSCN0978.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Another sub project to my rescue is the interior. Mine was a bit dirty from many years of use, so I removed the center carpet, rear cargo area floor covering, rear carpeted panels and the seats. The carpeted areas were vacuumed, cleaned and then given a coat of Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric coating to refresh the faded interior. I will clean and coat the front carpet in place.

The rear vinyl seats were in near perfect condition so those were thoroughly cleaned using Leatherique prepping agent and then treated. The front seats were not in horrible shape, but beyond what a good cleaning could correct. I ordered a seat upholstery kit off EBay and will be recovering those. The driver's seat will probably need a new seat bottom foam. EDIT. It did get a new seat bottom foam and what a difference new foam makes in comfort and support.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-240-...80851326687?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have near perfect cloth front and rear seats and was considering using those instead of recovering the front seat as I like how they match with the cloth of the door panels, but I decided to stay with the vinyl for its added durability.

I have new door map pockets and those will be installed once I clean the door panels.

I will scour my local pick-n-pull for an OEM radio. I know an aftermarket would sound better, have aux input, Bluetooth, etc... but all I care about is having the ability to listen to FM stations when I drive the car and retain the stock original look of the dash.

Attachments

• DSCN01.jpg
    DSCN01.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCN02.jpg
    DSCN02.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 239
  • DSCN05.jpg
    DSCN05.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 238
  • DSCN04.jpg
    DSCN04.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Front driver's seat is all apart waiting on the new covers. Boy these were A LOT easier to take apart than BMW E30 sport seats. As I suspected, the bottom foam will need to be replaced. I also found one of the wires to the heating element disconnected so that was fixed. Now just waiting on the covers to arrive.

4 like new door panels that I got out of a low mile wagon at my local pick n pull. I gave them a good cleaning and I can't imagine I could find a nicer set.

Another project is replacing the noisy blower motor. The tutorials and YouTube videos make it look WAY easier than it is. At this point I would have preferred just putting up with a noisy blower. Oh well, too deep into the project now and I already have a new motor.

Attachments

• DSCN0970.jpg
    DSCN0970.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN1023.jpg
    DSCN1023.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN1027.jpg
    DSCN1027.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCN1028.jpg
    DSCN1028.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 238
  • DSCN1030.jpg
    DSCN1030.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
This afternoon I replaced the severely yellowed headlights with nice new clear ones. I also added a new center Volvo decal to spruce up my semi cracked one.

New taillights are on there way as well. I'm hoping this helps fix my random driver's side light not working.

I have some suspension items on the way. The springs are Moog CC217 and from what I have read are a good overload spring for the money. The plan is about a 2 to 3 inch lift with 27" to 28" tires. Re-gearing the rear diff is also part of the plan as I know these larger tires will sap power.

Attachments

• Rear_Perch_SpringAssembly_1024x1024.jpg
    Rear_Perch_SpringAssembly_1024x1024.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 228
  • fullsize_20313.jpg
    fullsize_20313.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 230
  • fullsize_7531.jpg
    fullsize_7531.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 237
  • AMG_CC217_P04_TOP__ra_p.jpg
    AMG_CC217_P04_TOP__ra_p.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
I ended up going with coil overs in the front as it just seemed easier. I had the stock housings extended 2" and bought 27" tall tires. Every component on the front suspension/brakes are new. I just need to start putting everything back together.

Attachments

• DSCN1335.jpg
    DSCN1335.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
While I was waiting for all of the suspension pieces to be made I finished installing the new blower motor unit. Boy, that was no small job. I removed all the carpets front to rear and re-colored them, The front seats were recovered using a vinyl kit, more on that in a separate post, but hence to say I will be using leather in place of vinyl in the future. I replaced a lot of the plastic pieces like the E brake console, B pillar trim, door pockets, etc that had become brittle over the years. The nice thing about black interiors are that they are easy to match if things need to be painted. I am very happy with how nice the car is coming along for being my winter workhorse.

Attachments

• DSCN1322.jpg
    DSCN1322.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCN1330.jpg
    DSCN1330.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCN1342.jpg
    DSCN1342.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCN1351.jpg
    DSCN1351.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Sounds like a great project!
To post pics:
1- you will need to link from a host
2- make a donation and get posting "rights" (but not in off topic). You will be able to post reduced size pics that stay with the thread permanently.

Donation made. I assume it may take a bit before rights to post are granted?

Hopefully you included your screen name?

Also attaching pictures is overrated, most host the pictures elsewhere and direct link them or put them into the picture box in the 'Reply to Thread' posting box header.

The engine compartment before and after a good cleaning.

Attachments

• IMG_1434.jpg
    IMG_1434.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1430.jpg
    IMG_1430.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCN0931.jpg
    DSCN0931.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCN0930.jpg
    DSCN0930.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 234
Tomorrow I start putting the front suspension back together and see how the coil-overs sit. With both the front and rear being height adjustable I am sure with a little trial and error I can get everything sitting level front to rear and side to side. I still need to find longer shocks for the rear. That will take some measuring of the fully compressed vs fully extended lengths and see what is out there.

Attachments

• DSCN1156.jpg
    DSCN1156.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
A little progress starting to get the coilovers installed.

I do have a rookie question though, how do I hold the strut shaft from turning while I tighten the top mounting nut?

And yes, I need to run some sort of boot, but the top mount is a different design from OEM and I will have to give this a bit of thought. Or what have others done?

The lower control arms look bad, but the rubber bushings do not appear to be deteriorated. I also already have new tie rod ends ready to install once it is take in for a proper alignment once everything is all back together.

Attachments

• DSCN1580.jpg
    DSCN1580.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN1584.jpg
    DSCN1584.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 207
This is the wagon that I saw that gave me my inspiration. The intent is to replicate the look and stance of this wagon.

Attachments

• 1989-Volvo-240-with-a-5.3-L-LSx-V8-04.jpg
    1989-Volvo-240-with-a-5.3-L-LSx-V8-04.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 208
  • uUFwnX2.jpg
    uUFwnX2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 1989-Volvo-240-with-a-5.3-L-LSx-V8-06.jpg
    1989-Volvo-240-with-a-5.3-L-LSx-V8-06.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 209
  • x7nBuPZ.jpg
    x7nBuPZ.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 209
Hopefully you included your screen name?

Also attaching pictures is overrated, most host the pictures elsewhere and direct link them or put them into the picture box in the 'Reply to Thread' posting box header.

I disagree. There is nothing like "search noob" on a thread a few years old that did not have the picture host maintained. This archival stuff. Lol

Back