Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.tbforums.com/index.php)
-   performance & modifications (https://forums.tbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   8.8 swap - wheel advice? (https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=342558)

turbochimp 06-07-2018 04:08 PM

8.8 swap - wheel advice?

I'm torn on which way to go with wheel selection so I'm looking for some experienced advice on a good way to go for wheels on my 242. Its ls swapped and I'm about to 8.8 swap the rear end. Car currently has 17" rwd peg repops which seem ok for the car - I have em but not married to them. I also want to do the s60r brake swap eventually - my understanding is the these pegs will require spacers for this to work :e-shrug:

I see my options as:
-drill ford rears for 5x108 and run pegs maybe with spacers
-drill fronts for ford wheels 5x114.5

What do you guys recommend for the best way to go? I really don't want to buy all new wheels but maybe the ford pattern will give me more options down the road? Are the any common 17" ford wheels that will suit the car without spacers?

Thanks!

JohnMc 06-07-2018 04:18 PM

I'm in this same exact situation. I hadn't made it around to the rear axle swap yet, so I haven't made a decision.

I can't find the numbers I had written down but it seems like the narrowed 8.8 (short-side axles on both sides) is just a little bit narrower than the 240 axles is when it has two 32mm spacer/adapters on it (as mine does now).

So close that I was pondering just using a couple of spacers and having the rear hubs drilled so I can keep the pattern at 4.25". And continue using the FWD offset wheels I'm already have.

John V, outside agitator 06-07-2018 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMc (Post 5808699)
I'm in this same exact situation. I hadn't made it around to the rear axle swap yet, so I haven't made a decision.

I can't find the numbers I had written down but it seems like the narrowed 8.8 (short-side axles on both sides) is just a little bit narrower than the 240 axles is when it has two 32mm spacer/adapters on it (as mine does now).

So close that I was pondering just using a couple of spacers and having the rear hubs drilled so I can keep the pattern at 4.25". And continue using the FWD offset wheels I'm already have.

Look hard John..I don't know if there's enough meat in the OD of the hubs especially with weird-ass Volvo studs bug dumb knurl dia..
Might be worth doing a scale drawing to see..
I did the 4.25 to 4.5 thing for a guy with an Xratty--yeah yeah different car but there's a principle that OEMs don't like giving away pointless metal so why put more on OD than whatever calculations they use says to---and I had to make an "OD extender"...like a spacer but overhanging the edge and zapped in place>>

And I made the studs so the shank was 14mm--same as the threaded bit. M14x1.5 so we could use nuts with 19mm hex.

Redwood Chair 06-07-2018 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMc (Post 5808699)

Some custom thick spacers [to the flushiness of your choosing] in 4.5 to 4.25 is the short way home, as long as you're running the high offset WWD wheels anyway.

culberro 06-07-2018 05:50 PM

The front hubs can easily be drilled to 5x4.5, you just have to choose a knurl diameter that works. I use the ARP metric GM studs. Drill with the appropriate fractional inch bit and they press right in. Easy peasy if you have a mill and a DRO or a rotary table.
Ben even offers this service: https://www.bneshop.com/collections/...led-front-hubs

To make the rotors fit, you can have them drilled, or just take a die grinder to the holes and make them an oval.
The Ford pattern means here are a BUNCH of wheels that can work. Getting away from 5x108 makes a lot of sense unless you’re heavily invested in wheels, or a certain look.

JohnMc 06-08-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redwood Chair (Post 5808734)
Some custom thick spacers [to the flushiness of your choosing] in 4.5 to 4.25 is the short way home, as long as you're running the high offset WWD wheels anyway.

I don't think there's enough room in the back for adapters, just some spacers.

But since I'd be needing FWD offset wheels for the new rear width anyhow, easiest is probably just putting a pair of 4.25->4.5 adapters on the front.

The massive abundance of 4.5 wheels vs. the relative scarcity of 4.35 wheels is a very valid point. I just happen to have a set that I like well enough, but I really shouldn't let the tail wag the dog here.

Pillow 06-08-2018 10:28 AM

To note, if this is a drag car you will want to keep the 15" option for the rear IMO. Preferably w/o spacers as some tracks may not allow them.

cosbySweater 06-09-2018 04:30 PM

https://www.jegs.com/i/Cragar/260/83-7714/10002/-1

Volvo and ford pattern, they also make matching 15s for the sleeper look with drag radials