• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230ft rod/piston options

doleary

Looking for whats the current rod/piston options for b230. Looking to get reliable 300+ but I do like to over build. Reached at to a couple older "vendors" with no response, think they may have gotten out of the volvo game. Really would like to work with a vendor with some knowledge i can talk with about my build regarding piston/rods/quench/hg ect ect Thanks in advance guys.

I know of yoshifab, and have had pretty good luck with them, hoping there was more then one option. Thank you for the response.

Diamond will make a volvo version of the LS2K piston for $200 ea

Way better than the 700+ gram Mahle offering

In line with the Yoshi pricing for the Arias.

Which rod are you going to use, 152mm or 158mm?

Last edited:
I was planning on using the stock 152mm rods, I will mostly just end up going with the yoshi rods. I need to email him first and see if they will work with stock pistons. Im sick of waiting for parts lol

You can call up any piston manufacture (CP, JE, Wiseco) and have them make pistons for you. All of them even have Volvo b230 8V piston designs ready to go. You just need to tell them if they will be piston steered, pin diameter, and dish CC.

It really is that easy.

You can call up any piston manufacture (CP, JE, Wiseco) and have them make pistons for you. All of them even have Volvo b230 8V piston designs ready to go. You just need to tell them if they will be piston steered, pin diameter, and dish CC.

It really is that easy.

mmhmm. Amazing what can get done when you run the phone. It's all basics to these guys.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies. I know they can make them up a guess im just nervous to get the specs wrong! Thanks again.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies. I know they can make them up a guess im just nervous to get the specs wrong! Thanks again.

I can certainly appreciate that. I had a custom valvetrain made with Ferrea this year and agonized the measurements to death. The guys were super helpful though, I never could have gotten it done through emails. Not admonishing anyone for working within their comfort zone but a ten minute call with someone knowledgeable can pay off in spades.

Right on stiggy I appreciate the input, although tight tolerances may be a little out of my comfort zone, it is something i am going to have to get used to, and the custom valvetrain sounds stressful haha hope it came out good for you.

There's not really any "tight tolerances" that you have to specify when ordering pistons... if the designs are already done.
Just say what bore you want (96.5mm most likely), tell them to be "piston steered" if using stock style rods (measure the small end width with a pair of calipers, this will be good enough), spec the piston dish in CCs. They can guide you through the rest in about 10min on the phone.

Brought my block to the machine shop, turns out that lip was a bit bigger than i though (go figure). So its getting rebored. This means forged pistons and 158mm h beams. Oh well atleast it will be nice when its done. Although now that stock 8valve is going to be awfully restricting. My be time to think about a 16v. Im assuming this is the Volvo gods keeping me from being a cheap bastard, so i will go with it lol

Back