• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 mid-swap questions...

EivlEvo

Lads. Car is a 1993 245.

I yanked my auto box today and have my T5 all prepped and ready to go in.

With the wiring on the automatic shifter... what wires do what? Can I cut them? Do I need them? I have to assume one is for reverse, but the box has a reverse light switch on it. Some of the others are prob the neutral safety switch? I remembered someone saying these were sweden colors, but it seems there are more wires... so I'm unsure.

Flywheel issue seems solved.
I have JohnV's billet flywheel, and a Kennedy Stage 2 Pressure plate. Thing is... this pressure plate looks like it's for a dog dished type of flywheel, but JohnV's wheel is flat.

Am I missing something? I was under the impression that Kennedy Stage 2 was Kennedy Stage 2... do I have a non-compatible pressure plate?

Also... does anyone have a torque spec for the flywheel bolts? Should I use threadlocker? Couldn't find a spec in the book.

Last edited:
Flywheel to crank bolts are specified at 70 Nm or 50 ft lbs. Threadlocker if you want, I wouldn't.
Pressure plate to flywheel I'd use a small dot just for my own peace of mind so preference there too.

I'm unfamiliar with JohnV's flywheels so I can't speak on that.

Don't forget about bridging(shorting) the neutral safety switch so the car starts.

No I do not have those aluminum risers? Where might one have acquired such things?

The flywheel came with zero hardware... I had a whole thread about it that I'm not trying to rehash... but, seeing that makes perfect sense. I also need way longer hardware it seems.

This also seems like a pain in the ass to get after the fact regarding... how to balance it?

John can supply the risers. Everything is zero balanced and the risers weight next to nothing. I have 0 vibration issues with mine.

You wouldn't by chance know the dimensions of such a thing... or the thread pitch or bolt size would you?

The bolts I used are m8x1.25x35mm if I remember correctly. Make sure they are grade 10.8

I see there are spacers for the dowels as well. Did you just get extra pins or long dowels?

I assume the spacers aren't threaded? I wonder if I could make such a thing out of some bar stock... spacers that is...

I see there are spacers for the dowels as well. Did you just get extra pins or long dowels?

I assume the spacers aren't threaded? I wonder if I could make such a thing out of some bar stock... spacers that is...

I received everything from John. Came with an extra set of dowels. Spacers are not threaded.

Saw this.. I just zoomed off to post office and although lobby was open their "automated postal center " was gone..:oops: Tried another Post office and i could see the machine but doors were locked.:grrr:. Sent you a Pea EM...:-P

Saw this.. I just zoomed off to post office and although lobby was open their "automated postal center " was gone..:oops: Tried another Post office and i could see the machine but doors were locked.:grrr:. Sent you a Pea EM...:-P

John. Your PM is full. I emailed. That's all fine. LMK what I owe you.

Thread jack a little bit, but why do you call that sketchy for the ignorant like me.
Anything pedestal mount makes me nervous. I've seen a couple come apart and it is not pretty.
Both times the cars were totaled from the carnage. Ever see pieces of flywheel/clutch come through a floor board, dash and out of the cowl then fly 50 yards away?

Looks fine to me, common practice for multidisc clutches. Same as a fueler slipper clutch.
Common to use "10.8" (10.9?) bolts from your local Ace Hardware and aluminum spacers/pedestals?

Only 50 yards? There are YouTube videos of idjits damn near cutting cars in half with stock clutches. How are they any safer?

Any clutch explosion is something I have no desire to be anywhere near!

Just because it's open makes it no less safe as the forces unleashed in a clutch explosion would easily peal the plate off a dog dish flywheel.

Last edited:
Back when I was an idiot and my stock dog dish exploded at PIR in the burn out box it took a chunk out of the track also besides the pieces that flew 50000 yards over to the horse track and killed a grayhound dog.

I remember when they used to let you pass on cornholio's pass. Now double yellow a hole way.

Back