• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B23f carburetor conversion?

I'm wondering why you would want to? When I knew about carbs, I disliked fuel injection. When I learned about fuel injection, I vastly preferred it over carbs. Now, having said that, I get that having a nice set of DCOE side drafts are downright sexy and can offer great performance. However, removing a good EFI set up in order to switch to carbs seems like an expensive and possibly temperamental project. I'm more likely to understand doing so on a D-Jet or K-Jet car where parts are getting harder and harder to find and in a location where a car that old doesn't have to pass emissions testing than a car with 2.2 or 2.4 L-Jet.

The D-Jet system on my '72 1800ES is working fine, so I'm leaving it. If it gives me big problems, I'd likely go with another EFI set up rather that swapping to carbs. I guess I'd say that I've seen the light. Perhaps others would say that I've drank the kool-aid.

I'm interested in seeing what others have to say and I sure hope that people post some pics that aren't boat engines!

i can only see benefit if you use more then 1 carb. like 2x DCOE's or 4x bike carbs. That way you will have better induction, specially at high revs. Which is what you would need to have when you want to exploit the benefits of a hot cam. You would still need to do a good jetting/tuning session on a dyno to setup those carbs.

But you could also achieve the same (or better) results with (Jenvey) ITB's + programable ECU. That way you would have the best of both: EFi and multiple throttle valves.

What it's are those? And where could I find them?

ITB = Individual Throttle Body. https://www.jenvey.co.uk/

There are a variety of other ITB setups out there - including Weber.

Regardless, you will have to run an aftermarket EFI system to run the system. Megasquirt, Halltech, Link, others.

There is no 'out of the box' solution. You will have to engineer one/spend a ton of $$$ to have one made up.

If your budget is 'cheap fun' then just weld the diff and stuff an A cam in it. Many donuts and much drifting to be had.

If your budget is greater than that, then the sky is the limit on what/how you can do. You can achieve north of 200 hp naturally aspirated. You can also just dump a 300 hp LS motor in there and be done. Just depends upon your budget/desire/skill.

Based upon your comment of 'What's an ITB?', I would presume that you are relatively new to this hobby.

Last edited:
Based upon your comment of 'What's an ITB?', I would presume that you are relatively new to this hobby.
There is no 'out of the box' solution. You will have to engineer one/spend a ton of $$$ to have one made up.
+1.

All said, I'mma just leave this here. Thread reminded me of his adventure, was fun to watch the progress.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zuFD9f1bG2k" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace.

Anyone done this? Wondering if there are any benefits if you were to do a carb conversion paired with a decent cam.

Would you trade in your smartphone for a tin can & string?

No carb is going to outthink/adjust EFI & the fueling tables.......

No carb is going to outthink/adjust EFI & the fueling tables.......

Very true, however carbs will certainly make as much or more power as EFI. It'll just be harder to start, get worse fuel economy, idle worse and so on. However if all you are going for is max power a carb is just fine. We ran carbs on cars (including Volvos) for decades and the cars made good power. Carbs are a very good solution - they just don't work as well overall as a well tuned equivalent EFI system.

Back