• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1978 Volvo 245 K-Jet Crank No Start

So you measure 8 ohms across the terminals or was it 800 ohms? A little less resistance when it's colder is normal. A lot less is not.

Here's what I get from testing the plug/connector. I could be misinterpreting the instructions though.
Yu4pz0J

TyiebWy

Last edited:
https://imgur.com/TyiebWy
https://imgur.com/Yu4pz0J

I can't seem to share a picture, I can't seem to add an attachment?

Welp, another novice error (I believe). I was measuring resistance at the connector instead of the terminal on the distributor, I misinterpreted the instructions and wasn't thinking very clearly. After going back and checking the impulse sender on the distributor the resistance I got was .983 k Omega, which I from what I understand is 983 ohms which is within spec. Now all I have left in the diagnostic tree is to check to see if the impulse coil is grounded or not.

The results are in, performed the final test and the reading I got was OL, with the positive lead on the impulse sender and the negative lead on ground. If I've done the tests correctly it looks like all fingers are pointing to a faulty ignition module? Is this something I can order or is a junkyard scavenge in order?

Thanks again for the help guys!

Jonathan

OP have you verified that the camshaft turns when cranked?

A broken timing belt means the distributor does not turn... Therefore no spark.

Pull oil cap... Crank engine. You can watch the camshaft turn.

Yes, I can confirm that the camshaft does turn with the starter. I also checked the distributor for good measure and that turns as well. Which reminds me that I ought to do a good service on this engine, it's been treating me well so far but I don't want to leave it to chance.

Back