• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Whiteblock in a 240 ver. 2 - Probably very little of what you'd like to know

You need to attach the rotor holder to the front of the cam gear, and build some kind of bracket that bolts to the head and holds the cap in place. I've never done it, but it has been done. If I was dead set on keeping the distributor I would just notch the firewall. Much less room for error.

Thankyou for your help ill notch the fire wall.

Okay, I am picking up my parts car next weekend. This writeup is great and it is not too difficult to translate what you have said here for the 6 cyl swap. I am anxious to get this thing going and for now, it will be easier since I have the entire car to pull parts from, as well as all of the wiring, etc. As for space concerns, I hope to mount my engine straight up and down with no slant. I will be n/a for now with the possibility of a supercharger down the road.
I am subscribing to this thread now and hope to learn as well as contribute to it as I get started with my project.

Notes for my intentions:
-Mount I-6 perpendicular to x member.
-Mount I-6 without cutting firewall.
-Use stock 960 transmision and all control boxes.
-Add tone ring to 240 diff to control trans.
-Use dash and instr cluster from 960.
-Use all 960 accessories (alt, ps pump a/c comp)
-Modify 960 driveshaft with 240 rear half.

I think I am on the right track, but feel free to correct me if something seems unrealistic.

Thanks!!
Chris

If you want to do this with as little hassle as possible I strongly recommend you keep the engine slanted. The engine will sit lower, the oil pan will easily clear the steering rack, swaybar, and crossmember, the sump will be parallell to the ground instead of having a big lump hanging down that can get torn off.

With the 24v I6? I thought it sat upright in the 960 already. If it has a slant to it, I will keep it slanted.
BTW, what is the reason for not using the stock 960 mounts? They are fluid filled, correct? Is it just for the price difference of replacement down the road?

As was described in the article- you can use the 960 motor side engine mount bracket for the right mount fairly easily. Weld the "platform" to the frame rail, then use whatever mount ou feel like in between, really.

Left side stuff doesn't work well since the rack/steering shaft is in the way.

I tipped my motor up a bit- but not fully upright. It helps turbo clearance, at the expense of intake manifold clearance.

Fully upright also won't happen with either a 960 or T6 style intake manifold, in addition to the aforementioned oilpan considerations.

Why you want to swap the spaghetti of harnesses from the 960 is beyond me.

Karl/Alex -

You might tweak the article- that steel coolant pipe is the bypass pipe and it is not the water pump output, it is the water pump input.

Doesn't make or break the swap, but might as well not confuse people who don't understand that it is the "suction" side of the cooling system. :nod:

I jut want to use everything out of the 960 that I can. I am not trying to re-invent the wheel here. I am perfectly happy with the stock fuel and air delivery system and will be running n/a initially. I am also not excited about spending the extra $$ to build parts that will be available on the 960. Tweaking of oem parts is great, but I want to use s many stock parts as I can. That being said, I don't intend to half ass it either. I want this to appear to be a factory install, with all the bells and whistles.... Power steering, power brakes (possibly abs later) and definitely aircon...maybe even cruise.

The further I get into this swap, the more realistic I have started thinking about it. This is especially the case in regards to the autotragic transmission. Way too much silly wiring required for that one. Instead, I will use a T5 and adapt it.

However, I am still trying to salvage all of the factory engine management wiring. It will greatly simplify the wiring installation as it will only retain a handful of the original wires to the engine harness. I currently have a large box full of the wires that I have removed from the car-side harness. It must weigh 20-25 lbs at this point....

I will still retain power steering and aircon, but cruise goes out the window alongside the transmission....

I know this is a pretty general question, but any estimations on the price of this swap minus the cost of the whiteblock/T5 trans?

I know this is a pretty general question, but any estimations on the price of this swap minus the cost of the whiteblock/T5 trans?

My brother and I did the pictured swap on a shoestring budget. I think the total out of pocket (less engine and trans) was somewhere in the $1000 range. We didn't use the stock ECU either, so you could probably save a bit more there. I would consider $1500-$2000 more of a reasonable budget for a sane and well adjusted person.

Bump for me...
Any pics of a distributor moved to the front of a cam? I was going to notch the firewall but if it seems do able then I can do that instead.

large1503231467771.jpg

Not got any details on it though, found it on garaget ages ago.

Bump for me...
Any pics of a distributor moved to the front of a cam? I was going to notch the firewall but if it seems do able then I can do that instead.

I would reconsider - honestly, even a fairly basic megasquirt will run dual trigger/cop nowadays.

I don't think it's really any more work in the long run and the stock ignition system is not great. :)

Great write up, thanks guys.

Ever since I saw V90 3.0L engine I want it in my 245, I can have it dirt cheap and I know it's a good running engine, swap early cams, you guys are feeding my madness :-P I want a n/a but big cc and I can find M90 here for 300-350$
One day...baby is moving my plans...:-D

Hi all just planning and compiling bits for my whiteblock 240 conversion. My biggest headache is the ignition. I've got a 850 96 motor with distributor (and upper engine mount points) but a don't really have the time money to go mega squirt. Has anyone done the cop conversion from a later 2.3 t5? As in the original post "convert the ECU to coil on plug (I've heard you can do this, but I know nothing about it"
:)

With the help of a couple of other tbrickers I'm making slow progress on my own version of a coil on plug conversion board. I'll update this thread as soon as I have something to report on.

Here's a picture of the prototype I made a few weeks ago:

photo%25201.JPG

Back