• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Who builds complete B230 race motors?

Man that's alot of duration on those cams. Any audio clips?

Always remember when you see those Euro cams at 300 or 312 degrees..
They count the moment the needle on the dial indicator twitches..

Just get the compression up to at least 10.8 static comp, more if you have aluminum head, and they run fine even in rush hour stop and go traffic..

I built scores and scores of V4s with 310/308 degree cams and when compression was lower, like 9.8 or 10.2 they were kinda OK, but when I started importing pistons that made them zero deck and bopped comp up they were great..When anybody ever bought a NEW distributor (I started importing them in 1990, had been NLA for 8-9 years then) they idled nice at about 975-1000.

So, if one where to build a hot 16v motor with heavy cams like that and 10+ compression ratio, are they at 250hp? I bet a proper EMS system were needed, not a lh2.4 type of thing?

That'd be so cool to build a stock ish looking thing, lh2.4 (chipped) with a 16v motor, super hot inside, and a decent drivetrain to follow.

What do those motors rev to, 8k?

So, if one where to build a hot 16v motor with heavy cams like that and 10+ compression ratio, are they at 250hp? I bet a proper EMS system were needed, not a lh2.4 type of thing?

That'd be so cool to build a stock ish looking thing, lh2.4 (chipped) with a 16v motor, super hot inside, and a decent drivetrain to follow.

What do those motors rev to, 8k?

Yeah but you wont wif stockish looking (well I know ways you can but its sorta more work just for the "look" of being stockish) Even more than all the 8v motors, the intake runner ID is too small for any fun..It is a serious bottleneck... ITBs , 48 DCOEs, or custom manifold with good ID...

And we hain't talking super hot..That's what's so frustrating around this place with everybody an expert..These specs in these cams and the stuff from Erland, these aren't ""Super Hot"... Super hot crap would have cams in the 336 degree range, rev to 10,500

(The cams I posted above, those were n.a. cams that DID rev to 9,500--but the guy had a close ration box with 2.2 first gear and 1 to 1 top and a 5.15 final drive. that was a HOT motor and we could do it HOT because I knew he had the gearbox to work with it..)

These spec are reasonable "pretty hot" rally specs..rally where you're frequently off throttle and engine revs have fallen ---then you stomp on it..Rally guys--and rally cross, need motors that PULL good from relative low (closed) throttle..

Now maybe to all the keyboard heroes who have not really built any "fairly hot" motors this may seem "Super hot" but its not..
So let's stop calling it that so maybe one day some brave soul will build something fun--in a coordinated package.

I'm totally derailing the thread here but if one where to build a 16v NA motor for track use where throttle input is relatively known and less volatile, does that mean that you could build a motor for a 9k+ redline and a power curve that's usable above 6k?

I suppose the track and gearbox/rear end ratio are key too.

Johns right on point with the intake being to small on a 16v. On the 16v rally engine I built (11.8:1 CR and stroker crank), I ported the intake when I had it cut in half for shortening. Even with the wall thickness of the runners being about 1mm, it was still too small. The engine still pulled hard from 3k-8k rpm, but lacked the higher rev rush that it should of had.

That engine has 276deg cams and hydraulic lifters. The engine pulled to 8k and never had any valve train issues.
Same grind as the Techtonic Tuning 16v Sport cams: http://www.techtonicstuning.com/cams.html

Last edited:
Quick questions for you folks. Can the pistons be changed by only removing the head? If so then how do you feel about only using high comp pistons and a 16v head? Nothing else. Thanks for your thoughts.

For the money you are looking to spend, why not a used 5.3 iron truck engine? Even a stock 5.3 will blow your socks off compared to a n/a redblock. 295 HP stock. You can always build from that too. They respond real well to turbos in case you don't know.

I don't think I'd ever want a "race" motor in a street car, just like I don't want a "race" suspension on my street car.

I don't think I'd ever want a "race" motor in a street car, just like I don't want a "race" suspension on my street car.

Yeah I used the wrong word although this thread did certainly get a lot of attention. I should have went with "high strung motor that will last 100K miles when typically driven easily".

Yeah I used the wrong word although this thread did certainly get a lot of attention. I should have went with "high strung motor that will last 100K miles when typically driven easily".

Why not go to turbo?

All higher power small displacement n/a car have one thing in common, they all rev high. If you just cruise around 2000-3000rpm all day, a turbocharge engine will feel much more poweful due to the useful torque in that rpm.

A 200hp 16v motor would be so cool! Especially with decent suspension, transmission, and relatively stock looking setup. It'd be a more modern take on the 242gt, how cool!

Cameron on here started a really cool build with a 242 and 16v NA motor, search "site:turbobricks.com 16v na 242 project" and it should come up

Back