• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Adjustable cam gear - timing cover mod

SwedishKnievel

Has anyone modified their B230 timing cover to allow access to an adjustable cam gear in such a way that the access is temporary? That is a removable access door/flap/hatch?

I want to be able to access the cam gear, keep the timing cover and cover the whole mess up when I don't need access all without having to remove/replace the water pump pulley.

I can cut a hole in the cover and use a piece of sheet metal as a cover. I've not landed on a good way to attach the sheet metal cover to the plastic housing. There is not a lot of clearance between the back of the cover and the cam gear so I don't think a nut-sert would work.

If you have done anything like this and can share photos, I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Who said anything about easier?

With my motor & cover, I have to remove the water pump pulley, which requires slacking the alternator, and so on, in order to remove the upper cover. I'd rather not do that. And yes, not a big deal and yes, cam timing adjustment is not a frequent thing. I thought it would be cool and also make it easy to confirm that the cam timing has not slipped or changed without having to take the water pump pulley off.

You can trim the upper cover so it'll come off without removing the water pump pulley. Grab some sharpies, a cutting tool, and go to town.

I saw plenty of them modified but never seen a cover added over the hole. If I had to do it I would probably use the 2 studs of the valve cover closest to the timing belt, couple of brackets and some cool looking vintage round mesh headlight guard.
Adjustable cam sprockets are not smog legal by the way- if the smog tech sees it it's a visual fail for modified emission control.

Last edited:
Back