• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tips/tricks/advice before I instiall my MBC this wednesday?

89_740Turbo

On Wednesday, dl242gt and I are going to hook up my MBC and the boost gauge face Dave sells on his website. It's a fricken SWEET alternative to a boost pod and I will definitely post pictures of it once it's installed.

I got the car to stage 0 right now and everything is currently stock. If I recall correctly, stock PSI is 7... and I'm looking to boost it up to 11. My 740 is the later model, the 1989 m46 lh2.2 model. I'm going to play it safe and assume I have skinny rods. I haven't checked yet. The ride currently sits at about 160bhp and I'm looking to eventually get it up to 200hp with other upgrades in time.

What kind of [estimated] HP gain will I receive from 7psi to 11psi? Any installation tips/tricks or advice I should know before installation? Quarter turns, right? Don't want to go over 11 psi?

Typically 6hp per Psi. So add 4 psi, add 24bhp. The more efficient the setup the more bhp per Psi. Someone with a better IC, larger turbo and worked head might make 10+bhp per extra psi or more. But for these old tractor engines think of it around 6bhp (at the engine) per Psi.

Start with a light foot and just watch the guage for how much boost you are running. It will not only make more boost but spool up quicker.

Start with long hoses so you can adjust the MBC without burning your hands and oncenyoy have the 4th gear highway pull psi set cut out the extra length and final install the MBC with short hoses. The longer hoses will create a pressure spike when boost first comes in but it should settle after that.

Make sure it’s oriented properly, they only work one direction. Seems obvious, but I did this just last week, and hit 22 psi when target was 15 :oops:

I figured get it somewhere around the 10-11psi zone. It has a stock clutch and exhaust right now so it's just the basic fun boost increase. You guys remember. It's what gets you hooked on boost. :cool:

START with it plumbed but not doing anything.

Then turn it up a quarter turn and see if it does anything (they all scale differently)

Once you establish its scale, turn it up INCREMENTALLY until you get to where you want to be.

If you don't have an AFR gauge then on your test drives just drive to the dealership so when you blow your car up at least you can buy a new one as you're already at the dealership.

You're overthinking most of this stuff, I think. Once you get under the hood and actually do it, you'll be surprised how simple it was. I realize it can be daunting if you've never done it before, but it's very quick, easy and painless.

Get an afr guage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AEM-30-411...128951?hash=item3fa00cbcb7:g:t8gAAOSw8StbGUIK

START with it plumbed but not doing anything.

Then turn it up a quarter turn and see if it does anything (they all scale differently)

Once you establish its scale, turn it up INCREMENTALLY until you get to where you want to be.

If you don't have an AFR gauge then on your test drives just drive to the dealership so when you blow your car up at least you can buy a new one as you're already at the dealership.

:nod:

Last edited:
Back