• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Negative overlap? Cometic and ARP ?'s

Possible but I'm not paying for or dremeling the quench pads out of the heads, it ran great until it didn't, just need a better handle on the timing. Afr's looked good.

Running a tight squish engine doesn't have anything to do with dremeling the pads on the head. You are mixing that up with the Singh head grooves.

You can compensate for the timing change from cutting the head by using a shorter tiiming belt. I believe it is one tooth less from 124 teeth to 123. An adjustable timing sprocket is also a good way to go.

yeah, if you've milled out a bcp head that much I'm almost surprised it hasn't cracked. overlap doesn't burn exhaust gaskets. poor sealing is the main culprit, and ****ty gaskets is up there as well. the rubberized/metal clad gaskets always worked the best for me on 8v stuff. the paper felpro type gaskets (or dimpled paper/metal) are absolute gutterslut trash.

^ well it's running now, I used the exhaust gaskets in the elring kit from FCP, metal over paper I think? I did buy new turbo manifold washers and copper nuts from Ian. I haven't driven it yet though just warmed it up to set the timing.

I drove it in to work today, I swapped in a B cam, long story short the threads for the cam gear stripped out of the ipd cam. It seems more linear and less laggy but maybe down on power a little bit. Still, blasting out of the tunnel up the hill in 3rd put a big grin on my face :-)

We used to use the copper gasket spray paint on the copper head gaskets for the AH Sprite and to seal the passages we would add weather strip adhesive. That was at the track to fix a blown head gasket. They didn't make Cometic gaskets for sprites or Volvos back then.

Last edited:
I have some good heads if you need one.

It's running now, not taking it apart again cause of Internet H8. In case you missed this on the wut didja do to ur car tread
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pZXGS8Z9Pm4?controls=0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back