• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Yoshifab Reinforcing Plates

MSGGrunt

In preparation for replacing my front and rear control arms/trailing arms and bushings I ordered a set of Yoshifab's reinforcing plates to strengthen the new pieces. I figued it would be good insurance while everything is apart and clean/new.

My question is regarding welding on the plates. Do I NEED to fully weld the plates on or am I OK to stitch weld them?

https://yoshifab.com/store/

Attachments

• Front Control Arms.jpg
    Front Control Arms.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 357
  • Rear Trailing Arms.jpg
    Rear Trailing Arms.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 356
  • 240armbox2.500.jpg
    240armbox2.500.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 356
  • 240trailingarmplates.500.jpg
    240trailingarmplates.500.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 355
stich welding should be great or that is my plan. my thinking is less chance of moisture to be a problem and these plates will add less chance of any flex. for what i'm doing they are not needed but going on anyway

I would stitch weld. Probably on an inch off an inch, give or take. I looked up some old JohnV recommendations for chassis stitch welding and he said 1/2" weld every 1.5".

One reason for stitch welding is so that cracks will not propagate. I think it's a legitimate concern in a control arm. I'm not an engineer. :e-shrug:

Another vote for stitch welding. I just did my 142 trailing arms that way. Plenty of strength and like towery said, it SEEMS less likely to crack.

The volvo part, reinforced control arm:

93291311.jpg

Why?

O.k., I have a related question - just trying to learn here. I have mine off right now. One, I sandblasted and powder coated, the other I decided to replace with an aftermarket new one.

Why would these plates be necessary? Is this for performance mods?

stitch weld for sure.

You dont need more than 1/2" of weld every 2" they are just there to stiffen the assembly.

Has anyone else on here used Yoshifab's plates? I was kind of surprised at how thin the metal is. Was expecting something a bit more substantial, or do they not need to be that thick? They measure 1.15mm or 3/64th of an inch thick.

The YoshiFab plates are fine for rally racing. The only time we had a control arm bend was when the strut broke at 60mph. Can't really blame the control arm for that one.
Trailing arms are still doing great as well. 3-4k miles of gravel rally racing on them, not a single issue.

I just ordered up front and rear plates that I plan on using my dimple die set on to lighten and strengthen.

I just ordered up front and rear plates that I plan on using my dimple die set on to lighten and strengthen.

Post pictures when you're done. I was thinking they could benefit from that to reduce weight and further increase rigidity.

Post pictures when you're done. I was thinking they could benefit from that to reduce weight and further increase rigidity.

The plates showed up today and here are a few pictures.

As received. Needed to enlarge the hole a tad for the die.

My selection of dies.

First hole dimpled.

Back