• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

960/S90 M4.4 XDF...work in progress.

That's a good question. The 5-cyl turbo engines on M4.4 are all distributor-based, whereas the 6-cyl M4.4 cars have coil-on-plug and no distributor. There are modifications that can be made to the 5-cyl ECU to allow it to run coil-on-plug ignition and do away with the distributor though, and those mods are based on the 6-cyl ecu schematic IIRC. Perhaps a 5-cyl turbo ecu could be converted to run a 6-cylinder engine? It would probably be easier to find a 6-cyl ecu though, and cheaper. The 5-cyl conversion is not an open-source kinda thing. VAST Tuning does it.

I've figured out the conversion to combine two 8-bit integers into a 16-bit value, thanks to the internet :). It's not super helpful, but it does add a piece to the puzzle. I'll post a new xdf with the MAF tables soon.

New XDF added to the first post. I've added the MAF table locations, but they're kinda useless right now. Suffice to say the 5-cyl turbo MAF maxes out at 826 kg/h, and the 6-cyl MAF maxes at 972 kg/h, so there's definitely room for mild boost on the stock 960/S90 MAF. Moving to the BMW 540i housing would be a good mod though.

I'll keep looking at the wiki re downloading.

I made this little table of the MAFs listed on the wiki to display (probable) max HP (gas assumed as fuel)
c94a953dad98b7f7a6a71ec6ef0ffa2daaac08c6.png

The conversion factors don't work for us, since our MAF is larger so we'd need to determine the factor for our starting point. Also, the 960/S90 maxes at 972 kg/h according to the hex.

Late night update. I THINK I found the rev limiters and possibly the injector constant. They're in the new XDF up top.

If anyone out there has a running M4.4 960/S90 and an Ostrich or flash cable...could I get you to test the injector constant and rev limits? I'm working blind, lol.

Looks like I can't backup the stock firmware without a EEPROM programmer.

I have Motronic suite, i'll check for the part number of my ECU in there. Otherwise I guess I'll have to wait until I get a spare ECU.

Good point on distributor vs COP ignition. I guess if I’m buying a spare I need to make sure I
The MAF Flow numbers I pulled from the m4.4 wiki, wonder why the value for the 960 2.75” MAF is different.

I’ll give a flash a go during the week and test the RPM limiter. I’ll lower it vs raise it ��
If you can give me an idea of how to test the other parameters I’m game to do it.

First I’ll download my bin and make sure it’s lined up with the XDF you have.

Thanks again for your work.
I created a github repository so we can track changes and follow versions of the XDF and perhaps other files.
Should make easier for other to find via google too.

https://github.com/pulsatemedia/Volvo-B3604-Tuning-Files-Tunerpro-XDF-Motronic

Last edited:
Be sure to save your stock bin first, just in case. Needing that and not having it is always a bad time...been there, done that :(.

I'll have to get a EEPROM reader and pull the chip to do that I think.

I might try this first.... I found this ME4.4 ECU on ebay for $29 with shipping. Could flash I it with the stock S90 bin we have and see if the car fires up? Then I know I have an ECU running a corresponding BIN to the XDF you're working on. I'm not sure where the immobilizer comes in here.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...iK8w:rk:6:pf:0&campid=5338472460&toolid=20008

Last edited:
Sure, that works.
Testing the rev limit is easy, set them both to something low, like 3000, and see what happens. Make sure the car runs with the 'stock' S90 bin on it first though, just in case the rev limiter isn't right and it NOPs something in the code, lol.

I'm really surprised that there's no 'reading' utility available for these ECUs.

Last edited:
Done and done.
I'd swap the S90 with modded rev limiter and injection constant out for one that's just the rev limiter testing. The injection constant (if correct) is a main part of the fueling equation, and could cause a very rich or very lean no-start condition. It's better to work with one variable at a time to see if something works, rather than working backwards when troubleshooting. I'm still not quite sure the limiter is correct, and I'm even less sure the injection constant is right, lol.

Thanks for the Github repository, I didn't even think about that!.

Thanks. Let me know if you'd like to add you to the repository. Figured its a super simple way to keep notes and files synch'd and available to other to play.
Agree with a single variable, updated github with a single one for RPM Limit only. Will add others as time progresses.

I have a V90 and an extra S90 ecu for it. I'll give that rev limiter a go in the next couple of days!
So, TunerPro, a vag-com cable with the 232 chip, a lab power supply and lots of little jumpers? I hope I'm not missing anything...

Cool thanks! :D
I've never bench flashed (or in-car flashed for that matter) an M4.4 ecu, so I can't confirm.

I've found another M4.4 960 ecu that matches the XDF! It has some slight differences, but the RPM limiters still 'seem' correct. They're inverted though (soft limit is 6810 and hard limit is 6510), but if it's simply a matter of swapping the map titles, that's a win. I'm going to get it put up on the github site as well as post it here :).

Attachments

• 960.zip
    69.3 KB · Views: 20
A little late but I got it all wired up on the bench and it flashed just fine according the tunerpro! If the car starts and doesnt rev past 3500rpm then we're in business. :cool:

I'm halfway convinced to just flash my 960 ECU and send it.
I the car to commute to work soon though. Haven't had to commute in three years.

@955IsAlive
You can read the last 64kB safely with KWP protocol like on M4.3
Connecting like this will also return hardware and software number.
I or someone else might have the complete file already dumped.

Just plugged in the newly flashed ecu and I got crank but no start... It nearly hesitated for half a second but the car is fully warmed up so I think its a good indication that the tune does not work in its present state. Put the old ecu back and everything still works so at least it didnt break anything! Were getting closer that's for sure.

Back