• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Another LS Swap on a 1990 240

Email sts if you have not already. He has a complete parts list of everything that you need to complete the swap. And 43lbs of fuel pressure isn't enough for a ls engine. 58 lbs is needed.

Roger that. I am expecting to replace the pump under the car with a more powerful pump. I'll email for the list

I'm doing this same swap right now, I'm in upstate SC!

It looks like the trans cooler has 1/4 nps threads. Does that sound right?

Yep. Summit carries the fittings (sold as a pair) for about 20$. But, FYI on my swap with the STS mounts I have zero room in the tunnel for anything but the aluminum Camaro lines. Id recommend using the stock cooler lines and swage a -6 fitting on once you're past the crank pulley.

As Sts suggested I'm making spacers for the trans mount and I think with his and virtuosity's help I have 2 solutions for the colUmn. That should shore up the figment issues.

I am moving on to planning the fuel system and the trams cooling lines. Here is what I think I know about the fuel system:

Low pressure pump in the tank sends fuel to the high pressure pump under the drivers side through flexible fuel hose.

High pressure pump supplys 43 or so pounds of pressure to the Bosch jettronic rails. I assume these are high pressure hoses but I forgot to look today.

I think I can keep the in tank pump and replace the hoses from the tank to the high pressure location. Then use a 60 pound pump with new style fuel lines to the ls fuel system. Then return the fuel to the pickup with new hose.

Does this theory hold water?

As for the trans cooling. I don't know how I'm going to get hard lines in there. The fit is very tight. Are there flexible trans lines?

Use the Corvette regulator/filter. And buy the Dorman tool for nylon line, you will save alot of money vs. -AN or FI hose. The nylon is < 50 cents a foot, and you get factory style quick disconnect fittings.
You also wont have to buy an external regulator or anything ridiculous and keep the clean 1 line for 75% of the run.

I welded quick disconnects onto my in-tank sending unit as well.

Pump, if you're on gas a standard 255 will work.

On your rack clearance, I had the same problem with this kit, but I didn't forget to keep the aluminum cross member spacers. I can fit a folded piece of card stock in between the rack and pan i.e. they don't touch but they're VERY close.
What sort of space do you have now?

Here is a picture of the oil pan clearing the steering rack. It very close but clear the rack, I'm using the factory automatic transmission spacers.

Here is a picture of the oil pan clearing the steering rack. It very close but clear the rack, I'm using the factory automatic transmission spacers.

Is your engine/trans set back farther than mine? Because of tunnel clearance issues I'm stuck having it nearly all the way forward on the mount slots.

I bought the Energy mount part # you listed, but is it too tall? I could really benefit from another 1/4" down.

I've got great ground clearance so thats awesome.

Is your engine/trans set back farther than mine? Because of tunnel clearance issues I'm stuck having it nearly all the way forward on the mount slots.

I bought the Energy mount part # you listed, but is it too tall? I could really benefit from another 1/4" down.

I've got great ground clearance so thats awesome.

Are you using these spacers on the transmission crossmember?

I'm doing this same swap right now, I'm in upstate SC!

What's up neighbor!

Use the Corvette regulator/filter. And buy the Dorman tool for nylon line!

What Dorman tool?

I welded quick disconnects onto my in-tank sending unit as well.

Do you have a link to your disconnects?

On your rack clearance, I had the same problem with this kit, but I didn't forget to keep the aluminum cross member spacers. I can fit a folded piece of card stock in between the rack and pan i.e. they don't touch but they're VERY close.
What sort of space do you have now?

The PO of this car must have thrown out the aluminum spacers. I never had them. I am re-checking my clearance today. Ill Let you know how it goes with the new spacers.

What's up neighbor!

What Dorman tool?

Do you have a link to your disconnects?

The PO of this car must have thrown out the aluminum spacers. I never had them. I am re-checking my clearance today. Ill Let you know how it goes with the new spacers.

P/N is like 800-300 for the kit

http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/OESolutions2006/327-342QuickDisconnect.pdf

Its also E85 safe and non-porous, unlike -AN braided line which will 'leak' fuel vapors and make your garage smell.

I kept my aluminum spacers and still have clearance issues on the tunnel, I'm probably going to drive it first and see how bad it hits. I have a 2-post lift in my garage so not a big deal to drop the trans and hammer.

Welcome. We've got an NC Meet coming up in April, you should come join us.

I've got a V8 project too, but am making extremely slow progress on it, if you can call it progress at all.

This isn't rocket science. Just add another 1/4" spacer. I added 1/4" to my sway bars and an 1" to my trams cross member. Clearance is great on steering rack.

Use this for fuel regular/ filter http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-Fuel-Filter-Fuel-Regulator-Kit,41791.html

I would NOT recommend using the -AN fittings that come with that kit. There are a lot of horror stories of those coming off the quick-disconnect and the car nearly burning down:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1666379-warning-redesigned-russell-fittings.html
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/752773-fuel-line-near-miss.html
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/dont-use-russell-quick-connect-fittings-470864/

There's an updated version with a screw in 'clip' but they still sell both versions for some reason.

I dropped the Trans Cross member to the end of its bolts' travel to simulate the missing factory spacers. probably dropped it 3/4 inch but it did not lift the pan off of the power steering cylinder. Mabee Ill modify and fab the cross member and make it a little shorter. On a related topic, am I supposed to measure the output shaft angle while the car is on the ground? or Can I do it from a lift?

IMG_4140 by ttownthomas, on Flickr

The good news is the sway bar does have a tiny bit of clearance now even without spacers.

This isn't rocket science. Just add another 1/4" spacer. I added 1/4" to my sway bars and an 1" to my trams cross member. Clearance is great on steering rack.

Agreed on the not rocket science part. Did you happen to measure your output shaft angle with the 1" spacer?

**** I didn't worry about that on mine either and my junk isn't adjustable. 2 piece driveshaft ftw tho.

Back