• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Adapting Stock B230 Fuel Rail to AN

Cameron

ドクターマリ&#
Trying to work out how to adapt the fuel inlet to the fuel rail and return off the FPR to AN.

Working with this fuel rail style ('83-'87?) that is threaded inlet and barb outlet at the regulator.

DSC_4009.JPG

0716112247.jpg

The inlet is threaded -- but what thread type? The outlet off the FPR measures out to like, 8mm O.D. I'm shooting for cutting the fuel hardlines down by the trans tunnel and then using AN compression fittings to make them -4AN male threaded at the spot I cut them. This'll be a non turbo motor so -4 seems like it will be plenty big :e-shrug: Anyone have any clue if I can accomplish this without brazing on new fittings to the rail?

For the feed I'd just need to figure out exactly what size/style the thread is so I could try to find an adapter fitting that went from that to -4. For the return I guess I'd just need to figure out an 8mm fuel hose that I can clamp onto the FPR and then on the other end of that get a -4 to barb fitting to clamp that same line onto that then threads onto the -4 fitting on the return hard line I want to cut and run compression -4 on down by the tunnel.

Fake Edit: Just remembered Jordan did this sorta on his car. Given he ran new line all the way from the tank, but same idea I want to do at the rail:

fuelday009zx9.jpg

Last edited:
You can - if I remember correctly, it's some sort of metric double flare on the fuel feed. I have a spare fuel line in the garage, but I'm about to head off to Alaska for the weekend so it'll have to wait before I can scope it.

Is there a Parker store local to you? There's a shop in Bellingham that has pretty much anything to anything, and I take in my wacky Volvo crap and they can just find the right fitting right then and there...

Is there a Parker store local to you? There's a shop in Bellingham that has pretty much anything to anything, and I take in my wacky Volvo crap and they can just find the right fitting right then and there...

There's Advanced Hydraulics not far from here. They figured out the right fitting for me to adapt -6AN to that weird fitting at the fuel return hard line (which turned out to be a JIC fitting or something) so they'd likely be able to find something for this. I guess I might just have to pull the fuel rail and take it there and say make this fit -4 hose end.

I wonder if I can squeeze a -4 hose over the 8mm barb off the FPR?

What are we looking to accomplish?

Engine bay cleanliness.

The '78 has the fuel filter up on the firewall so both hardlines run up the corner of the bay and up to there. Derek had already pulled the under car pump and accumulator in prep for carbing the car, but I'll be running LH on it. So Imma move the fuel filter down under the car next to a pump like stock LH configuration. So with that, I want to cut the hard lines by the tunnel so I can just run a shorter, tidier hose right up to the feed on the rail and same thing for the return instead of running both over around the brake booster like they are now.

You need a billet rail setup to run the stock fpr.....hint hint hint

Why are you guys so attached to the stock fpr?

I'd just weld a steel -6AN fitting on either side of the rail, stash an aeromotive compact reg somewhere out of sight (easy to do) and pull some -6 lines back to the pump.

Otherwise just put some stock LH lines in and call it a day.

Maybe I'm missing something...

Why are you guys so attached to the stock fpr?

I'd just weld a steel -6AN fitting on either side of the rail, stash an aeromotive compact reg somewhere out of sight (easy to do) and pull some -6 lines back to the pump.

Otherwise just put some stock LH lines in and call it a day.

Maybe I'm missing something...

My cheapskate nature wants to try to get it running/done/connected with parts I already have on hand + a few bucks on fittings. Sure an Aeromotive compact FPR would do the trick along with welding new fittings on the rail, but that's $140 for the FPR and $ for the welding too since I can't do it.

This motor will get a different intake setup completely in the (hopefully) not too distant future so I'd like to not spend too much money on parts that will be removed if that's possible.

What will you do for lines with the new intake?

Isn't there a way to just do this properly, once?

What will you do for lines with the new intake?

I'll get an adjustable FPR with AN ports and a new rail with AN fittings too...

Isn't there a way to just do this properly, once?

Well, yeah I could just get the above mentioned items now instead of later and move them to the new intake setup. So yeah, this might be hopeless, but thought if I could spend just a few bucks now to use the parts I already have it'd be nice. I'll spend the money later on the FPR and rail, but it'd be nice not to spend that money now if I don't need to. Maybe I just have flawed logic here.

Cam...

I'm sure you're more fluent on this subject than I, but I'm kinda in the same boat as you...

Are you using a stock FPR?

I just got a Cosmo Adjustable FPR, which went right on a stock B230 fuel rail, and it's got a threaded fitting out of the regulator for the feed and return. As I've got it right now, I'm just clamping a hose on it, like stock, but soon enough, I'll get a nice threaded fitting from the FPR, through a stainless line, to the return hard line.

I dunno, maybe consider a new FPR, that's got the threads?

if you want to send me your rail ill weld on a -6 fitting for ya and deliver Stonehenge weekend?

I'm no machinist, but I would imagine it wouldn't be too terribly hard to make an adapter that has volvo fuel rail threads on one side, then -6 on the other :e-shrug:

I'm no machinist, but I would imagine it wouldn't be too terribly hard to make an adapter that has volvo fuel rail threads on one side, then -6 on the other :e-shrug:

For a one-off on a manual lathe it's a pretty damn finicky part to make. Way easier to weld or braze bought or salvaged fittings onto a tube.

Cameron

The stock fitting is 14mm x1.5

I just made an aluminum fitting to weld on AN adaptor myself today, but to run from stock line to -6 rail.

if you need something made, hit me up.

and yes, as alex said, it's a tricky part to make.

Brett, i stock them adapters...-6 to metric bubble for stock like, should have said somethin! Im sure there is a what they call universal female metric adapter to -6, but it would be spendy for the time needed for Camerons needs.

Steel AN fittings are like 2 bucks a pop up here. You need to buy proper lines and FPR in the future anyways so I don't follow the logic behind the midget and ductape transitional solution.

Buy the correct parts the first time and install them.

I do that kind of false economy **** all the time too and it drives me insane. I always regret it. One day I'll learn. :lol:

I'd bite the bullet and do -6 lines and Automotive compact FPR, and have a couple AN fittings welded to the stock rail for now. The only "wasted" money is the cost of the steel AN fittings and the welding, the rest of the parts will be the right ones. Pay nor or pay later.

Then again it's only 80psi worth of flammable liquid being pumped into the engine bay. Could just dumpster dive for some string and clamps and whatever and see how it turns out. :-P:)

Back