• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Engine color

I always wanted to paint my engine black with canary yellow pan and valve cover but wondered if oil leaks would be harder to spot lol.

Weird. My '60 B 16 B block was dark blue when I got it.

I never found hard evidence that it should be "Volvo Red", but I changed it to that color during a rebuild. Actually, I used POR 15 Ford Thunderbird Red which was pretty close and gave a smooth finish. The smooth finish is meh, but does make it very easy to clean.

I paint all of my engines silver. For a few reasons: first, I like the way a silver engine looks. Second, Chrysler Corp painted their engines silver until 1958, and my first love is a 57 Plymouth so I use the color of that engine. Third, leaks are easy to spot. Fourth, it's not the same old Chevy orange or Ford Corporate blue or Mopar hemi orange. Fifth, an old gray beard told me once that the silver aluminum engine paint dissipates heat faster, which may or may not be true.

I'm pretty sure they were red.

59poster.jpg

I found mention of Chevrolet Red. Not sure I remember any red Chevy engines. Went back and checked: 1956 only Chevy 265 Cubic Inch engines were red.

Last edited:
Back