• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rarity of 242's??

studmuffed

Not sure if this is the right subforum for this, but I found a 1981 242 that's a good deal. Just how rare are they? Will I hate myself if I pass it up?

Condition is a large part of that question, I bought mine because it is in relatively very good condition, the color and year I was searching for, and I feel very lucky to have found it, I couldn't even haggle the price ($2500). The longer I've owned it the more I realize how nice it is, that's due to trying to find nicer parts than it already has. Mine has some cosmetic issues and very minor rust spots, but the interior is excellent and there are no major problems. I see you are in the NE also, they are more rare here than out west I'd bet.
Another question is: can you take care of it? Mechanical stuff is mostly cheap and available, everything else is $. Antique car and all that..I have had to spend a lot to get some of the parts needed to make it as nice as I want it to be. Because I want to keep it forever I started hoarding spares where I can, extra tail lights, etc...
Just one other thought, these are not small cars. It is several inches longer than my old 740 wagon and takes up a noticeably larger amount of garage space lol.
Just my 2 cents, how bad do you want one?

That 's a really good point, 244 or 245 parts are a dime a dozen, but with a college student's budget, I'm not sure I'd be able to restore a 242 the "proper way" meaning factory everything. I think I'll post it on volvo orphan's forum and let someone else have it.

Another question is: can you take care of it? Mechanical stuff is mostly cheap and available, everything else is $. Antique car and all that..I have had to spend a lot to get some of the parts needed to make it as nice as I want it to be. Because I want to keep it forever I started hoarding spares where I can, extra tail lights, etc...
Just my 2 cents, how bad do you want one?

Even on the left coast much like the 140's that went before them, they're not really around anymore on the streets or in the junkyards.

That said I'm sure some furious Googling will produce some, but day in and day out they're an unusual sight for sure.

It doesn't need to be restored, just taken care of. I never see them on the road anymore, it's just me. People rubberneck when they see it, one guy almost crashed trying to take a pic while he was driving.

Wish I had the garage space, would definitely take care of it if I had a place for it. Anyways, you can find it on Volvo Orphans subforum

I just saw that...I think I would have a difficult time talking to the owners, those hubcaps hurt my brain but easy fix. I hope someone grabs it up and saves it from those horrible hubcaps and paint. The interior looks decent from the little you can see of it. This car would require a much closer look, the description and pics are terrible. Original keys and owners manual is a selling point...but no mention of body or mechanical condition, but it is cheap. Someone rescue it!

Rare Art Car.

I just saw that...I think I would have a difficult time talking to the owners, those hubcaps hurt my brain but easy fix. I hope someone grabs it up and saves it from those horrible hubcaps and paint. The interior looks decent from the little you can see of it. This car would require a much closer look, the description and pics are terrible. Original keys and owners manual is a selling point...but no mention of body or mechanical condition, but it is cheap. Someone rescue it!

We can hope!

Art car status usually insures a sooner than later date with the crusher.

:e-shrug:

00202_3wZABYc0liF_1200x900.jpg

Yea apparently those symbols on the side are FBI confirmed pedophile signs... Other people says they saw it in person and it's a POS. Dodged that bullet.

It depends on how rusty it is. You could get a cheap re-spray(maaco) and stage zero the car and have something that's 'okay'. If you're set on a 242, find the best example you can. Have it shipped if it comes to it. I don't know what kind of budget you have but if you have at least $200 a month tweaker budget you can turn a turd into something decent in about a year or so.

Lol that 242. That's about an hour from me, pass by it frequently. It remains the only 242 that I've seen in the wild, ever, in NC/SC/GA that didn't belong to an enthusiast already or wasn't part of a Volvo meet.

They're hard to find around here for sure.

I actually looked at that car and asked if it was for sale probably 3 years ago. It was offered to me for $300 then. I passed.

Back