• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Resurrection of "The Fast and Luxurious"

Which engine shall i use?

• 2.5L 16v turbo with high compression (9.6:1 SCR)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2.3L 16v turbo low compression (8.8:1 SCR)

• 2.0L 16v turbo (8.2:1 SCR) (original B204FT)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Great project! is nice to see some fast bricks being build in Holland.

Mayby a tip, i've read your post about the B204 computer and the fact that you want to install megasquirt on a later point.

When my brother and i started building our turbo 242 we ditched all the LH2.4 components and bought a UEMS from BS-Autotune. There are mixed reviews from this guy floating on the internet, but the fact is he started his business with the build of his own 242GT. He knows a lot of things about Volvo's and tuning them, and most of all. He is not expensive.

We bought the complete UEMS package with a wireloom, widebandcontroller etc. for €1000,-

This is what we bought for 1000,-
16d21ac286.jpg

- Wireloom + Fusebox
- DIS bobine
- UEMS (with Bluetooth)
- Air temp sensor
- Water temp sensor
- Throttle Position sensor
- Wideband controller
- A lot of bosch connectors and pins.

Together with the loom you get a diagram with all the colors and description, so you know what wire goes to what connector. The wires are long enought to go through the whole enginebay.

The best thing is, the Engine management system is based on megasquirt in it's basic form(MS2 i think) and can be tuned with all the programs you can use on Megasquirt (Tunerstudio MS etc).
He added a few functions, but you can still use the information on the megasquirt forums to dial in the tune etc.

Nice upgrades! Thats not the car you had a few years ago when you visited me or?

I'd also consider MS3pro, you can have that shipped to your door for 1000,-, just have to add wideband (50 from 14point7) etc. Rest of the sensors are mostly cheap and/or already used by LH2.4. Of course more expensive in total but as far as I can see, not by a huge margin.

Nice upgrades! Thats not the car you had a few years ago when you visited me or?

I'd also consider MS3pro, you can have that shipped to your door for 1000,-, just have to add wideband (50 from 14point7) etc. Rest of the sensors are mostly cheap and/or already used by LH2.4. Of course more expensive in total but as far as I can see, not by a huge margin.

Pricewise it doesn't make a huge difference. The reason we wanted a complete new system is because we swapped in a FK in a '77 242. We could make the LH2.4 system run (i bought a whole loom out of a '92 245) but we didn't want to swap out the existing loom because we were on a tight scedule.

We only used the stock Volvo Crank position sensor and the original 60-2 pattern. All the other sensors are new.

And in the future we want to upgrade the turbo, so that's why we wanted to eliminate the use of a LMM..

Interested to see if that downpipe and turbo are going to fit under the hood.

Nope... Not without penishood ;)

I sure hope it fits under the hood. I haven't had the opportunity to test fit. Because the B204FT has the oil filter mounted on the engine mount. So the KL-racing manifold didn't fit.

If it doesn't fit, than i will install the B204FT exhaust manifold with a cosworth turbo. Than the engine will look completely stock.

Awesome!

I hope you're going to rotate the core of the turbo?

Yep, it's allready done. It was still clocked for a 90+ 8v manifold.

No this is a much nicer car, than that battered old 940 i drove back then.

I have bought and assembled two MS2 mapdaddy4 boards with the Megamanual, but with both of them i had problems installing the firmware. Checked and doublechecked everything 10 times, retouched the welds, checked voltage on all the pins, but everytime i get the same weird communication error...so i am going to use LH2.4, unless i can solve the problem with the MS boards.

If i buy another MS, it will be a pre-assembled kit, probably a microsquirt.

There's no substitute for cubic inches.....

While waiting for my new parts to arrive i decided to disassemble a cheap B230FK engine and installed the AQ171 crank and pistons that were gathering dust in my garage.

Just a quick diy hone to deglaze the bores and then installed the pistons. (C D D C)
Weighed all the pistons and rods separately and balanced rod+pistons to within 1 gr.
I had to shave a little bit of material from one conrod to bring to go from 2 to 1 gram.

20151109_232654_zpsesmtkndg.jpg

So now i have two engines i can choose from:

199.. B230FK Block
B230FK Crank (80 mm stroke)
B234F head (48.5cc)
13 mm conrods
B230FK pistons, with valve reliefs (13 cc dish+reliefs)
2.3L with 9.0:1 SCR

1996 B230FK squirter block
AQ171 crank (86 mm stroke)
AQ171 pistons (13 mm dish)
13 mm conrods
B234F head (48.5cc)
2.5L with 9.6:1 SCR

With a 86mm stroke, 13 cc pistons dish and 56 cc head i get 8.8:1 SCR for an AQ171 engine.
So it seems like volvo calculated the AQ171's compression with a B234F head!

Which engine shall i choose for the 960 with M90
The other engine will go into my 240 turbo with AW71

And than i'll have a B21FT with M-rods and a B204FT head to experiment with.....;-)
8.3:1 SCR is much better than the stock 7.5:1 of the B21FT and still low enough to run lots of boost.

Last edited:
Flywheel/Clutch options for M90

I am investigating flywheel and clutch options for the M90. Looks like the most used clutches are 618, 763 (Volvo), 765 (BMW M5), 768, 785 (Saab 9000 Aero/Viggen), 707 (Audi S2).

I don't know how much hp/Nm i am going to make, but i don't want to replace a clutch every three months.

Currently i have a dogdish with 228 mm 763 (Sachs Performance) pressure plate and 940 tdi disc. That combo should be good for 430 Nm or 505 Nm with a sintered disc.

But i am tempted to upgrade to a Flat B21, TTV or JVAB flywheel.

Clutch options are:

763 pressure plate
228 mm
430 Nm with organic disc
505 Nm with sintered disc

707 (Audi) pressure plate
240 mm
520 Nm with organic disc
615 Nm with sintered disc

785 (Saab) pressure plate
240 Nm
545 Nm with organic disc
640 Nm with sintered disc

765 (BMW M5) pressure plate
240 mm
590 Nm with organic disc
700 Nm with sintered disc

I have a TTV flywheel for 850R clutch, a HD T5 pressure Plate and a VPerformance Manthey clutch... that setup did cost my way more than a 1000 bucks and i still have a M90... :/ damned..

It holds pretty well.. rly strong clamping, so for the left leg.. traffic jams are literally a pain in the a55 :D but i would go for a customized flywheel next time and stuff from KL-Racing.. much cheaper

I have a TTV flywheel for 850R clutch, a HD T5 pressure Plate and a VPerformance Manthey clutch... that setup did cost my way more than a 1000 bucks and i still have a M90... :/ damned..

It holds pretty well.. rly strong clamping, so for the left leg.. traffic jams are literally a pain in the a55 :D but i would go for a customized flywheel next time and stuff from KL-Racing.. much cheaper

Thanks for the advice. But 1000 bucks is a bit on the high side.

I'd recon that with a TTV flywheel, 765 clutch and organic disc i'll be looking at € 800 for a 600-700 Nm clutch, that isn't to hard on my left leg.

I wonder if a 765 pressure plate wil fit the B21 flat flywheel. If that's the case, i save a lot of money on the flywheel which i can use to buy a DSM CAS Adapter (win-win). Then i don't need the 60-2 holes on the flywheel.

"New" parts arrived. 3" catback system

Quick update: Today my 3" exhaust system arrived.

I found a 3" simons exhaust for volvo 740/940 on marktplaats.nl.
The mufflers and pipes are in good shape.

20151110_130749_zpseyiczjcs.jpg

I made a quick picture, only to realise later i put the little muffler in the wrong place.

20151110_130801_zpsqonozcpl.jpg

20151110_130813_zpsl7ilep2c.jpg

Last edited:
Back