• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW71 free accumulator mod

it is pretty easy to do. I have an aw71 apart now that I am rebuilding all you have to do is remove the valve body and look for the accumulators 3 round things in the case of the trans. when you find them push on them and watch where the fluid squirts in the case of trans. from there blow compressed air in the hole you just found and the piston and spring will pop out and cover your face with trans fluid.

I was going to look for stiffer spring rates to replace the stock springs. not just putting somthing in there so they wont work at all

is this what a shift kit dose on a th350

No, but you can do the same thing. A shift kit is usually a valve body plate with some different holes, and you leave out some check balls. You can usually remove the springs if you want it to shift abusively, or you can shorten them and/or drill out the hole where the fluid goes to make it harder shifting but not as bad as no accumulators.

it really shifts nice.. it feels like our old studiebaker with GN turbo v6 drive train in it.. The trans had a shiftkit and it feels alot like that old car.. second night of abuse and i think this one might hold up....
sam

Fellers a couple of shop rags on top of the piston with a hand to catch it will reduce mess, distance that parts fly, and keep her temper in check as you are doing this on the kitchen table.

Fellers a couple of shop rags on top of the piston with a hand to catch it will reduce mess, distance that parts fly, and keep her temper in check as you are doing this on the kitchen table.

which is what we did. sam added some flair for artistic styling, the only thing that went flying was a copious amount of atf that made it around the rags.

it is pretty easy to do. I have an aw71 apart now that I am rebuilding all you have to do is remove the valve body and look for the accumulators 3 round things in the case of the trans. when you find them push on them and watch where the fluid squirts in the case of trans. from there blow compressed air in the hole you just found and the piston and spring will pop out and cover your face with trans fluid.

I was going to look for stiffer spring rates to replace the stock springs. not just putting somthing in there so they wont work at all

its really not that violent, in fact daily driven i dont think anyone would notice. you might get the occasional "your car shifts fast" or "your transmission is a little rough" from absolute purists, but thats about it. It wasnt the violent bang into gear that I was expecting.

Thanx for the 411 Sam. I'm going to be doing plenty of trans stuff pretty soon so I'll add this to the list.

I will be too. Hopefully I can get some pics as well. Does anyone have a link to the valvebody mod? Do the two work together? Please let me know.

Thanks
Renny

i can probably dig some pics up, and i see no reason why the two wouldn't work hand in hand.
i would think this would be most beneficial on a transmission thats just had the friction and steels replaced.

Help me understand auto boxes here...

Can this "spacer mod" work IN CONJUNCTION with the "valve body mod", or does one cancel out the other? Would both at the same time be feasible, or a bad idea? Also, which method is easiest?

Last edited:
i think it would work with the vavle body mod.. The valve body mod basicly speeds up the flow of fluid to the clutches making the engage faster and harder.. The acumulator mod just reduces the amount of fluid nessarry to engage the clutches and makes them engage faster and harder..

i think it would work with the vavle body mod.. The valve body mod basicly speeds up the flow of fluid to the clutches making the engage faster and harder.. The acumulator mod just reduces the amount of fluid nessarry to engage the clutches and makes them engage faster and harder..

I wonder if then puts you into the same shock load situation that the manuals have. Maybe the torque converter would soften things up off the line. I don't think any of the torque rod bends have happened on the shifts but I could be wrong.

THanks
Renny

Edit: what did your car run at SE?

Last edited:
Back