• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SquareD's slow and steady 945 tarbo project

When you get ready to reassemble, if you want to use my FASTRAX alignment jig, I'll ship it to you. Did my 70 Malibu using the system, and plan to do the DD if I ever finish it. Look up the Youtube vids, works well and no hammer head alignment techs!

Back together and on the ground, finally.

20180608_182406 by D H, on Flickr

*golf clap* Nice work!

Thanks John.

When you get ready to reassemble, if you want to use my FASTRAX alignment jig, I'll ship it to you. Did my 70 Malibu using the system, and plan to do the DD if I ever finish it. Look up the Youtube vids, works well and no hammer head alignment techs!

Thanks for the offer! I'm evaluating my options. There's a place not too far from my work that specializes in modified cars that has some legit cred and a bunch of recommendations.

Stock springs with the fancy BNE mounts are going to be fiddly to adjust. The upper spring perch pretty much covers up the mounting bolts for the mounts The bolts with the BNE select mounts have a square neck so you can just push them up in the slot and they don't turn. The fancier mounts aren't like that. I need to make sure that whoever does the work is patient and doesn't hamfist things or cut corners.

Last edited:
So you went with the FANCY BNE top strut mounts this round! Best of luck, should be able to dial that alignment in..... and your specialty shop.

I'd like the details of your vent setup which I've (finally) noticed in the pic. Custom oil cap breather to the reservoir, and thence to the turbo inlet hose. Does it automagically drain to the breather box under #4 intake runner? I'm still stock on the DD, but curious.

I'd like the details of your vent setup which I've (finally) noticed in the pic. Custom oil cap breather to the reservoir, and thence to the turbo inlet hose. Does it automagically drain to the breather box under #4 intake runner? I'm still stock on the DD, but curious.

It's the full Yoshifab setup:

https://yoshifab.com/store/redblock-delux-crank-case-breather-kit.html

Actually, one of the next things I need to do is pull the can and add some stainless steel scrubber inside for increased oil precip. When I installed the do88 IC I noticed a decent amount of oil in the pipes and I'm hoping getting more baffling via the scrubbers will help.

Actually, one of the next things I need to do is pull the can and add some stainless steel scrubber inside for increased oil precip. When I installed the do88 IC I noticed a decent amount of oil in the pipes and I'm hoping getting more baffling via the scrubbers will help.

Interesting of you to mention that as I have the same setup and same issue. I thought my engine just had to much blowby without ever really checking, but now re-evaluating the situation. I'll be following to see how it works out for you!

No pictures, but I pulled out the Yoshifab can yesterday to address excess oil in the intake. I just stretched the stainless pot scrubber around the tube that feeds into the top port and back out into the intake. Hopefully that baffles the vapor coming in the side ports and increases oil precip some.

I'm starting to see like others have said that the Yoshi can is kinda small and doesn't have enough baffling. Unfortunately there's not a ton of real estate over on that side of the engine bay which is the upside of the compact Yoshifab setup. We'll see how it works with the additional Dollar Store baffling.

Last edited:
Shifting gears..... how do you like the middle hole on the QSRC's? Hope it's good, as I've got mine set in the same position.

Shifting gears..... how do you like the middle hole on the QSRC's? Hope it's good, as I've got mine set in the same position.

I really haven't had much time behind the wheel. The QRSC's add to the "stack height" of the strut assembly which generally makes things more of a hassle to disassemble and reassemble. Sway bar end links definitely need to be detached and reattached to the lca with both wheels on the ground now. I'm assuming inner tie rods aren't articulated to a unhealthy angle now with the front wheels off the ground.

Honestly, the verdict is still out for me whether they were a necessary upgrade for what I use the car for. I'm sure the alignment fiasco soured me a bit. Hopefully I can get some time to drive and enjoy the car to change my mind. Both sides have a clunk after this latest round of reassembly so I have to chase that down. I wish I had more time for car stuff, but I don't.

Dustin, how you like the "middle hole" in the QSRA's? I've only put about 25 highway miles on mine since reconstruction (going to get the paint quote today) but so far I'm liking the quicker steering...... less "Grandpa".

The insert bushing into the spherical?

Yep, guess I owe you an apology and a few bucks for the *extra* bushings. Turns out they were in there, but for whatever reason the passenger side wasn't seating in the mount fully. That bushing was a little bunged up, so I'm glad I had the new ones. I made a little press with a socket, bolt and washers and got that bushing in all the way before buttoning things up. No more rattling. Sorry BNE. Message me a PP addy if you want.

Cleanest 9 series around, as always, great work Dustin!

Thanks! Not driving it helps it stay shinnnay. :)

Dustin, how you like the "middle hole" in the QSRA's? I've only put about 25 highway miles on mine since reconstruction (going to get the paint quote today) but so far I'm liking the quicker steering...... less "Grandpa".

I still haven't gotten much time driving the car in a "spirited" manner. I definitely think beyond the m90 swap and maybe a couple small things, this car's pretty much done. With me getting older and tired-er, the suspension is more than up to the task for how I drive anymore.:lol:

This thing really does handle ridiculously well for being a 25 year old Volvo wagon (IIRC build date of 11/93). Probably one of the most underrated aspects of 7/9s is how well they handle. While they wouldn't be blown away by the power it's making, I'm pretty sure someone unfamiliar with these cars would be pretty surprised by the handling within a couple corners. I actually have a couple folks that were ticked I didn't get them out for a ride this year, I'll have to remedy that next spring if I still have it...

Haven't been here much lately. Still no M90 swap, kinda given up on that for right now. Lately my spare time is spent on either my kids or mountain biking. Or mountain biking with my kids.

48826629373_cf4a6f93cf_b.jpg

Haven't driven the car much this year, but I have been messing with it a bit more lately. Learning a bit more about LH 2.4/Ostrich and have messed with the fuel map, warmup, lambda feedback thresholds, etc... Still a work in progress tho.

I refurb'd the TME brace I bought from StiligFox a while ago. It needed the tabs on one side rewelded.

48826562153_07239885bb_b.jpg

48826876917_d1697d4e3c_b.jpg

The bar had a decent amount of corrosion and the brackets were rough, so I stripped, polished and painted things. The brackets were painted black, hammered finish and they turned out nothing like that. So I wet-sanded the gray satin-y color they ended up and things were fine.

48827082866_7a9a5ed707_b.jpg

48826345468_f910b133c4_b.jpg

48826720861_0715ed2bc4_b.jpg

I kept chasing a clunk in the front end and turns out it actually was play in the spherical bearing on one of the BNE mounts, so I swapped in the original factory strut mounts and all is well. Tuning seems to have helped that roll in ping and there aren't any more noises coming from the front end. The weather's cooling down, so I'll be driving it more before the end of the season. Not gonna lie, that $11k 744t on BAT has me thinking... As far as updates go, that's about it though.

Last edited:
Back