• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B18 Timing help

Pulled the distributor and I was off on the order, it's close to your description. The red circle thing is the bit of plastic im using to keep the screw centered in the house.

IMG_20190315_181858088_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190315_181420446_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190315_181412200.jpg

I had a hell of a time in the past with similar symptoms. I eventually discovered that the recommended points gap didn't even get me close to proper dwell due to what I suspect is worn distributor lobes.
Gap is really just a way to get the dwell. More gap=less dwell. Dwell is the number of degrees the points stay closed. Dwell is the important number.
This is the ghetto farmboy way to measure dwell:
(edit: Unhook power to points FIRST..)
Print off a protractor about 4" diameter and tape to rotor with cap removed. Fashion a pointer out of a wire from somewhere on the block to above the protractor. Hook up multimeter to both sides of points, and set to beep for continuity.
Turn engine over by hand slowly noting what angle the beep starts and what angle it stops. The difference is your dwell.
If the dwell and points gap don't jive with the manual settings at the same time, something is worn. Set the dwell and disregard the gap.

Last edited:
It was the ****ing brand new condenser even though it passed the multi meter test.

After mucking with dwell and points again I was looking through a box and found the old condenser I pulled when I did the tune up kit. I figured why not try it since I've tried everything else. Fired right up, idled great, revved the best it's ever revved since buying the car.

Took it for a drive and its smooth through the entire RPM range. Case closed.

What would cause a brand new condenser to fail even though when I do the charge/discharge test with a multi-meter it passes?

A condenser is a reactive component. Might be that it's the wrong value for the application? Could just be a new bad part? I've had them fail new. It happened to me when driving my 60 356b a long time ago. It shut down and had no spark. Wasn't far from home so went back and got another one. fixed it. Change your points every year for maximum performance.

I know that's what Bosch is selling now but I can't swear that Bosch is making them. They're pretty good about putting their logo on everything they make. The one you have doesn't say 'Made in Germany' like this one so maybe it isn't a Bosch part.

02006_1.jpg

The original condensers had a solid wire and fit better in the clamp.

7414063.jpg

Kudos for finding the problem!

I have had the whole tip, contact and all break off of the arm of a set of mexican bosch points after about 200 kms a while back and fall down into the distributor. Get this, I was on an uphill in a standard on a narrow road with a line of cars behind. That was fun..... Luckily I had the old points in the trunk, so i got it home.
When I finally found good made in germany points I bought 3 sets, 3 condensers, etc, and I keep them along with a cap, rotor, plugwires, plugs, and some vacuum and fuel line all in an icecream pail in the trunk. Along with a multimeter, and a protractor taped into the lid.....No kidding.
Funny thing is I haven`t had a problem or needed an adjustment in probably 12000 kms....Checked the points other day, they look almost new.
Ahhhhh, Carbs and points life....:zeeall::boink::spin:

Pro tip, always buy Bosch tune up parts.

Robert Bosch, GMBH is based in Germany, but it has been a truly global company for quite a while. Engineering, Research, and manufacturing is done all over the world.

(They are also very well diversified now. I expect less than 75% of their business is automotive a this point.)

Robert Bosch, GMBH is based in Germany, but it has been a truly global company for quite a while. Engineering, Research, and manufacturing is done all over the world.

(They are also very well diversified now. I expect less than 75% of their business is automotive a this point.)

I sell Bosch motored electric bicycles in my day job.
If you factor in appliances and power tools, I bet its significantly less that 75%

Back