• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1970 1800E Driver Restoration

Well I guess you?d better start another build project

script>

And for the current project the new wheels and tires are ready to mount:

script>

At shop for glass install, interior fitting, and finishing touches. First time with the new wheels and tires today; look better than I had hoped. Still have idle hunting between 800 & 1500 rpm; will check out the aux air valve when I get it home.

script>

Looks freaking amazing. I can't help running my eyes over the various places where 1800's usually show issues, the few seams in the body that are often covered up by people doing iffy bodywork, the panel fit along the doors, chrome lining up (lol, that NEVER looks right on a PV's hood).

And that /\ /\ /\ up there really looks on point.

I would be apprehensive to drive it. Have you looked into anything to lighten the color of the coolant overflow bottle? I think that'd be the only thing on this car to discern it from a time machine off-the-lot car (barring upgraded valve cover and electronic distribution, of course)

I would be apprehensive to drive it. Have you looked into anything to lighten the color of the coolant overflow bottle? I think that'd be the only thing on this car to discern it from a time machine off-the-lot car (barring upgraded valve cover and electronic distribution, of course)

You can still buy them from places like VP, etc... P/N 686833: $85, and there is an economy version available with VP-Autoparts for $55.

You can still buy them from places like VP, etc... P/N 686833: $85, and there is an economy version available with VP-Autoparts for $55.

I bleached my brake fluid reservoir and washer fluid jar. Haven't gotten to the overflow tank yet, but it worked well on the others.
The reason I went that route was because one of them isn't reproduced correctly. I think it was the brake fluid reservoir, and I didn't want them to look different.
You may want to give that a shot.
Steve

Thanks for the positive feedback to all; it helps counteract the rust repair induced PTSD.

To answer questions:
-Steve - not sure if AAV is good; that will be first thing I check out on the idle hunt. I'll test out the bleach trick on one of my other used spares and see how that goes.
-Ian - Also concerned about freaking out driving it. I really didn't set out to create a garage queen, so hopefully I'll get over it.
-Ian & Matt - I saw the sources for the coolant overflow bottle when I was pulling parts and detailing them for the engine bay. Unfortunately I'm selectively stingy and had several used ones on hand
-John, Doug & Vol242vo - thanks very much! The ladies at Lost Legends (Viv & Tracy) are very meticulous craftsmen.

Here's another echo of the sentiment - the car looks fantastic, especially knowing how it started and what you've been through to get it here. Those wheels are a great choice too. I don't see them used much on any Volvo but they look sweet on an 1800 coupe.

My opinion - drive the thing with abandon once it's finished. Keep it protected, maintained, cleaned & waxed... but don't stress too much. Enjoy the fruits of your labor. Not many of us get to experience a nearly new classic Volvo. Jay Leno says something along the lines of "I buy perfect #1 condition cars, then enjoy driving them down to a #2 or #3." Live it up.

You probably just need to lower the idle. D-Jet cuts power to the injectors when the rpm is over 1300 and the throttle switch is closed. If there's too much air bypassing the throttle plate you'll get that surging idle. Adjust the throttle stop so that the screw is turned 1/3 to 1/4 turn past contact with the lever. Then adjust the idle with the screw/jam nut under the intake hose. You may need to re-adjust the throttle switch after adjusting the stop.

The car is really looking good. I noticed that your missing the trim around the side markers though. Is that on purpose or are they out getting plated?

Duder; thanks very much! We'll see how things go regarding Jay Leno's advice.

Ian; thanks for reminding me to start with the basics and work my way up. I will do as you suggest and report what I find. Bezels for the side markers are polished and will be going back on.

Hoping I'll have the car back home for keeps in 2-3 weeks at which point I will sort out the idle, sort out a few wiring issues, and go from stem to stern torquing things to spec.

Last edited:
I bleached my brake fluid reservoir and washer fluid jar. Haven't gotten to the overflow tank yet, but it worked well on the others.
The reason I went that route was because one of them isn't reproduced correctly. I think it was the brake fluid reservoir, and I didn't want them to look different.
You may want to give that a shot.
Steve

Did you actually use bleach to clean overflow bottles in the past or something else?

Have one that needs the treatment.

Did you actually use bleach to clean overflow bottles in the past or something else?

Have one that needs the treatment.

Not on the overflow bottle, yet. I did do the brake & washer reservoirs. And to clear it up, it was warm water, Dawn detergent & Clorox bleach. Then rinsed with a lot of water again.
They do not look brand new, but came out pretty damn clean.
Sorry, no pictures. Maybe I get the master cylinder out of the storage box & shoot a picture tomorrow.
Steve

Should be done this coming week. Took some time while the dash was off to try to figure out why H20 temp gauge is running in the red even though temps around the engine appear well within normal range (~160-180). Tested the voltage stabilizer and it's cycling as it should and the gas gauge reads normally. Next thing I'll check will be the resistance readings from the sender unit....can't think what else it would be.

On a disappointing note the radio I had rebuilt doesn't clear the wiper mechanism; easily 1" too deep. I need to see how it fit in the 73 ES that I pulled it out of to see if it was actually fitting there or if some PO had swapped it out of a 140 and it impinged on wipers there too. For the time being there will be a gaping hole in the dash where it was intended to be :(

script>

script>

script>

script>

Last edited:
Beautiful as ever. It's the details that I enjoy as well, the badge on the correct grill, the seal behind the grill surround, etc...

Back