• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cosbysweater's Turbo LS 244

I really dig that you used the PAC-80 batt isolator. I LOVE mine.

I got tired of the 40amp relay's I had getting hot and the connectors aren't great either. I was getting too much voltage drop across them. Now I have a true 8awg wire(not china 8 gauge lol) and the pump with the voltage booster(17.5v) still is not showing a fuel pressure drop at 20psi of boost(76psi rail pressure) on e85 single 450 and -6 line.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, when you voltage boost a walbro 450, they turn into an absolute animal.

Keep up the badass build! Always like seeing updates on this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, when you voltage boost a walbro 450, they turn into an absolute animal.

Very true. But I'd prefer to have two pumps instead of boosting one though if possible. We had some trouble with a boost a pump not turning on properly recently.

Very true. But I'd prefer to have two pumps instead of boosting one though if possible. We had some trouble with a boost a pump not turning on properly recently.

Not to hijack his thread.. again lol

Was it triggered by the ECU or a hobbs switch? Mine is set to remove a ground signal over 6psi of boost as seen by the ecu.

Not to hijack his thread.. again lol

Was it triggered by the ECU or a hobbs switch? Mine is set to remove a ground signal over 6psi of boost as seen by the ecu.

It is ECU triggered. There was something wrong in the boost a pump and we had to send it back. Not the end of the world, but it's just another potential failure point and I'd rather just have the safety net of two pumps.

It is ECU triggered. There was something wrong in the boost a pump and we had to send it back. Not the end of the world, but it's just another potential failure point and I'd rather just have the safety net of two pumps.

Fair. I need to turn on the fuel pressure safety in the Goldbox. Just as an added safety net incase that happens.

I mean I did the 2 pumps because if I want to turn the wick up I can with no issues. I just want it to be as safe as possible. Lq4s are not cheap

Well we are in the home stretch on this turd as far as major upgrades go! I cannot say enough about the s366 clone and 44mm wastegate I got from vs racing. Most of the time I rock the car with no air filter at all. The turbo burns no oil and has no more shaft play then it did when I got it over 20k miles ago. I'll hold onto this one. But what's coming is going to be funnnn.

So first and foremost before I get grilled about this. Yes I did mount the wastegate on the housing of the turbo, I did it due to time constraints on getting this deal done. I ordered another exhaust housing for it from atp for when the new engine goes in. Yes you heard that right yet another engine is going to find it's way into this car, most likely at the end of next year. I'm picking up a l96 which is gen 4 6.0, very late model, non dod, and with square port heads. This engine is getting a little tired but I'm going to turn the wick up and see what it will do.when the new engine goes in, it's going to be getting a new turbo kit which will have the wastegates in the crossovers. :) Don't worry duder it's going to happen!

Also during my short time between jobs i hammered this out with a friend yesterday. Unfortunately all the batteries at the out we're dead. We got it to bark, but no start.

It's ugly but this was all just to configure the ms. None of the goldbox wires were cut so they are full length still. Looking to start it tonight

Have fun with that big bad boy. The world needs video.

Regarding the wastegate mounting - you gotta do watchu gotta do. It's not ideal but you know that. I won't grill you for it...much.

Have fun with that big bad boy. The world needs video.

Regarding the wastegate mounting - you gotta do watchu gotta do. It's not ideal but you know that. I won't grill you for it...much.

Thanks! This is temporary I the plan is to build a beefier hotside for it in the future I can actually hang wastegates off

The big turbo saga has been a massive learning experience, so a big post will follow with more pictures and explanation of why this thread has been quiet for a while

So heres what happened, maybe someone else will find this helpful as well. So I installed the gtx4202r on the car and due to a bit of a time crunch and being worried about two wastegates hanging off my crossovers which are made of exhaust tubing I put a single 60mm wastegate on the turbine with a 4psi spring. got everything plumbed up and hooked up my laptop ready to go burn some tires off! apparently the car had other plans. I let it get to temp and drove up the street and stabbed the throttle, it pulled like a animal to 4 psi and then I here this loud fluttering noise that sounds like compressor surge and it is so bad that the car looses all power while still registering 4 psi. at this point it feels like im no joke driving a stock Volvo 240. so my brain froze at this point, the car ran absolutely perfect on the drive to the shop when I was giving the s366 its final beating. so I pulled over and disconnected the wastegate, still does it at 4 psi..... so now im frustrated, drive back to the shop and think maybe the bov is blowing open? so I take the bov off and stick an bolt in it to wedge it shut. still has the issue. I take the wastegate off the car and bench test it and it works totally fine, no leaks and free movement. so I put all the wg springs I had in it and test it, well its about 30psi opening pressure so this should be fun. I drive it and the car pulls like a animal to about 15psi then it does the same thing. falls flat on its face. so I park the car and think. Initially I started talking to some of my friends with turbo ls cars and the consensus was that you really cant over wastegate a car. I mean 60mm is big so I was thinking maybe its too big and letting to much volume out the exhaust? so I made a restrictor on the outlet of the wastegate thinking that may help. I restricted the outlet down to 35mm and drove it, same issue. Doing that and thinking that would be the same as running a smaller wastegate is where I kinda threw myself off the right track. so being the car has always had a extremely small intercooler I started to wonder if maybe it was now a restriction. I non intercooled the car and drove it, same issue. then I thought you know what Im just gonna pull the exhaust off since its a three inch turbo back, maybe that's my issue. NOPE with no exhaust, wg restrictor, 30psi worth of spring and no intercooler the car still makes 0 power and wont rev past 4k in boost. So at this point I'm so pissed off. I send logs to friends that know more about tuning the I do and no one can seem wrap their head around what's happening, it was mostly frustrating. Threw a fuel pressure gauge on, new plugs gapped to .025 and coil packs and wires off the Fairmont. Still no change and rock solid fuel pressure. So now I'm just thinking I better talk to DUDER, so I do and I have to say, it may be how I worded the question but it even seemed like he have been slightly confused as well. We went back and forth a little and he told me with the surface area of the valve being so big the back pressure may be pushing it open, and since it's so big it may not need to open the entire way. So I got a long bolt and cut the end off and cut 1/8th 27 not threads into it and screw it into the wastegate against the back of the valve to cram it shut. Well needless to say the car was immediately maxing out the map sensor and doing crash off the road burnouts. SUCCESS, it was that stupid fvcking wastegate being too big, backed the bolt off half a turn and blamo 10psi, which is what I resprung it too. So long story short, a 44mm wastegate in a gtx4202r is perfect. Lol

Last edited:
Back