• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Are there any kind of strut braces that will fit a pre 90s 740?

89_740Turbo

I have been searching for a while but have not found anything. I need one for my new build. Does anyone know where I can find them? For pre 1990s 740. Thanks!

I'm not saying you aren't right, but I'm genuinely curious if there is a way to know that for sure because if it is then I'll buy one from the eBay link

Ask the seller. The only thing that could possible cause a problem is the lower hood structure. The towers, aprons, engine etc are all the same.

Update.

I have been in contact with Pete from RetroTurbo. We've been talking about creating a pre 90s strut bar because unfortunately, even the strut bars he has on his site only fit 90+ 740s. With that said, he wants to make strut bars at a great price for those of us who want pre 90s strut bars. I just need to gather some numbers but my car is at the shop. Can someone do something quick to help me out? I would drive over to the shop to do it but I survived a tbi accident and am in recovery/therapy at the moment.

From Pete:

Hi.

I spoke with a shop that does some parts for us and he asked for some pictures of the early type struttower, can you make me some pics and post the to me?

I would need a center to center width between the struttowers as well.

Guy may have some time before X-mas so I am not promising anything but he may have a go at them. Again, problem is getting an early car.

Last edited:
The old cherry turbo ipd upper strut braces fit all years of 740's and 940's. What ever happened to the person who bought that jig that was a gonna keep making and selling those?

Also V in Vancouver, WA was making a similar ones and even approached IPD to make them for them to sell and IPD said no, but maybe V has one or can make more.

See this 740? THat is a 80's 740 with an 80's front end and 80's 760 diesel aluminum hood and it did 12.61.

Do a wanted post for wanting an old cherry turbo IPD upper 740 brace then buy it and send it to retroPeter and have him make em...

Personally I got three of the cherry turbo IPD upper 740 strut braces, not for sale..

Have you installed the stock lower brace? I think 960s came with it but US model 740/940 cars didn't.
I don't think that all older 960 came with a lower brace. FL 960 brace needs some cutting, drilling, etc. to fit. I've done a few.

Old 745 build:
9.jpg

The original IPD brace was hollow just like the oem Volvo. The one they sell now is different, solid like others have said.

Back