• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ford 8.8 who's running c-clips eliminators?

Yes it is, and what's so confusing about why they are desirable? 150 bucks, a superior bolt pattern factory lsd and good ratios the c clip issue isnt an issue.

Weld big ford 9" ends on the 8.8 and you can reuse the explorer disk brakes and eliminate the c clips. Strange makes a spool/axle package for 580 bucks. Any length 35 spline axles, steel spool, bearings, and studs. Never going to break that stuff.

Yes it is, and what's so confusing about why they are desirable? 150 bucks, a superior bolt pattern factory lsd and good ratios the c clip issue isnt an issue.

If you want to actually go fast, c-clips are an issue. The 8.8 and 9" are very similar in weight when equipped the same, within 20 pounds, negligible.

Last edited:
You think they are going to pull your cover and look?

I wish!!
They look at the outer axles and look for::::
mos-9300_1227.jpg

If you want to actually go fast, c-clips are an issue. The 8.8 and 9" are very similar in weight when equipped the same, within 20 pounds, negligible.
20 pounds of unsprung weight is allot....
I haven't had an issue and I go fast. I know plenty of people running 9's or more on stock. 31 spline 8.8's good luck breaking one. It's funny how against this rear end you are. There is a reason so many switch to it, c clips are cheep and easy to get away from if it bothers you, and its still a dirt cheep indestructible rear end.

This is why I?ve never understood swapping to a c-clip 8.8 from a semi-float Volvo axle. The 8.8 is an ok axle, and stronger, but c-clips are such a liability, and for not much more money you could have speced out a 9? that is better in every way. I know that doesn?t help now, but something I?ve never grasped.

Point me to a "specced out" 9" for $200 or less...I'll take 10.

20 pounds of unsprung weight is allot....
I haven't had an issue and I go fast. I know plenty of people running 9's or more on stock. 31 spline 8.8's good luck breaking one. It's funny how against this rear end you are. There is a reason so many switch to it, c clips are cheep and easy to get away from if it bothers you, and its still a dirt cheep indestructible rear end.

It's funny how into ****ty rear ends TB is. Now I know you're kidding, the 8.8 is far from indestructible. I know why people switch to it, cheap isn't really a good reason when you've made a sideways move at best.

Point me to a "specced out" 9" for $200 or less...I'll take 10.

Nobody, including myself, ever said the 9" was cheaper, its just vastly superior. TB loves to delude itself that its little darling 8.8 is some magic bullet.

From one of the big block Ford/4x4 sites....

FORD REAR END WEIGHT COMPARISON

8.8-inch Rear End Assembly Weight : 170 lbs.

1. Housing: 36 lbs.

2. Axles: Medium Journal, 28-spline -15 lbs. ea.

3. Brakes: Small 10" x 1?" Drum Assemblies - 22 lbs. ea.

4. 3rd Member: Reinforced Revision 8.8-inch Case - 60 lbs.

9-inch Rear End Assembly Weight: 194 lbs.

1. Housing: 38 lbs.

2. Axles: Large Journal, 28-spline - 18 Lbs. ea.

3. Brakes: Massive 11-1/32 x 2?" Drum Assemblies - 26 lbs. ea.

4. 3rd Member: Conventional Diff. - 68 lbs.
a. w/Traction-Lok Diff. - 71 lbs.

(24 lbs. Difference Between Drum Brake 8" & Drum Brake 9" Rear End Assembly).

Versailles Disc Brake Rear End Assembly Weight: 215 lbs.

1. Housing: 39 lbs.

2. Caliper: w/Pads, Anchor Plate & Flexible Brake Hose - 24 lbs. ea.

3. Axles: 20 lbs. ea.

4. Rotors: 10 lbs. ea.

5. 3rd member: Conventional Diff. - 68 lbs.

(45 lbs. Difference Between Drum Brake 8.8" & Disc Brake 9" Versailles).

If you are concerned about the weight ... a aluminum center section saves 20 lbs.

Part of what makes the 9" so strong is that there is more interface between the pinion teeth and the ring gear teeth. This should result in more parasitic loss with the 9" (anecdotal evidence by stranger's postings)....guess someone will have to man up and do a before/after dyno to get at data on that one.

Part of what makes the 9" so strong is that there is more interface between the pinion teeth and the ring gear teeth. This should result in more parasitic loss with the 9" (anecdotal evidence by stranger's postings)....guess someone will have to man up and do a before/after dyno to get at data on that one.

The 3rd pinion support bearing also adds to the strength of the 9".
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/9-inch-ford-rearend-strongest-rearend-due-hypoid-distance/

But... that high offset pinion is terrible from a friction/powerloss standpoint.

This is why I?ve never understood swapping to a c-clip 8.8 from a semi-float Volvo axle. The 8.8 is an ok axle, and stronger, but c-clips are such a liability, and for not much more money you could have speced out a 9? that is better in every way. I know that doesn?t help now, but something I?ve never grasped.

9" is stupid

I've seen about 5 ford 9inch pinions on the ground on the laundry h pad. Never seen that with a 8.8. physically bigger does not mean it's better.

Back