• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ford 8.8 who's running c-clips eliminators?

I think a lot of people get lost in comparing the 8.8" and 9". While, technically, the 9" is a "better axle". That does not necessarily make it better for the application; especially when cost of entrance is taken into account. An 8.8" is easily modified and installed by a proficient DIY guy in a weekend and can be had with a number of gear ratios and with a limited slip plentifully for $150-200. A 9" is going to take a lot more dough and a shop putting it together for you to make it happen. To get one around the Volvo with and set up well is going to take a cut down housing set up by a shop, a pair of custom axles, a third-member with gears and a carrier of your choice, and a custom brake setup (iirc, not a whole lot of factory disc brakes compared to drums. A guesstimate of getting a 9" into the back of a 240 is $1000 on the cheap side of things, realistically more like $1500-2000.

A guesstimate of getting a 9" into the back of a 240 is $1000 on the cheap side of things, realistically more like $1500-2000.

You're right on the money with the estimate.
I priced this out last year through Speedway Engineering: http://1speedway.com/?route=common/home

Having a shop build a "drop-in" 9in for a volvo 240, with the aluminum 3rd, and a clutch-pack LSD was $1850.
Same width, axles drilled, and wilwood brake brackets, but no 4-link mounts.

But that's with all new parts, so not too bad. It's just $$$ right?

The fully rebuilt Toyota 8" going into the rally car was ~$1000 all said and done.

The ford 8.8 going into the drift car is about $500 so far, and that includes a new LSD and diff rebuild kit. Would have been much cheaper if the LSD hadn't been ran with a loose cross-pin for a while.

You're right on the money with the estimate.
I priced this out last year through Speedway Engineering: http://1speedway.com/?route=common/home

Having a shop build a "drop-in" 9in for a volvo 240, with the aluminum 3rd, and a clutch-pack LSD was $1850.
Same width, axles drilled, and wilwood brake brackets, but no 4-link mounts.

But that's with all new parts, so not too bad. It's just $$$ right?

The fully rebuilt Toyota 8" going into the rally car was ~$1000 all said and done.

The ford 8.8 going into the drift car is about $500 so far, and that includes a new LSD and diff rebuild kit. Would have been much cheaper if the LSD hadn't been ran with a loose cross-pin for a while.

yep, I'm at probably $350 for my 8.8 with an LSD rebuild kit, new axle bearings/seals, and a fancy cover for it.

Really depends on use, the nine inch is handy as you can have several third members set up for different tracks instead of trying to setup a Salisbury type rear. I doubt anyone here needs that feature really...There was a time that the nine inch was cheap and easy to find too around the time when 455 buicks and 472/500 cadillac and 428 pontiac engines were there too, and good luck finding a disc brake Lincoln 9 inch, they were rare 30 years ago. Some have argued that the third bearing was a crutch to fix a design flaw because the pinion bearings ended up so close together? But i dunno....and I thought i read somewhere that the height of the pinion I relation to the center line of the ring gear adds strength at the cost power to turn..but I can't revert either...Just give me the cheap stuff..I run a 12 bolt in the 65 and Dana 60 inn the charger..A friend of mine converted a full floating 14 bolt truck rear end to give lug to use in his 65 impala

Back