• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Driver Door Bulging

xDread92x

Hey All,

I have a question about a driver door issue. The door handle is definitely twisting and ready to be replaced. I am unsure if it's the door handle but in order for the door the close properly I have to slam it to close.

If I try to close it normally the door wont close fully and hangs open some. Could it be the handle? What causes the door to bulge and makes it hard to close? With the door open I try to lift the door to see if it's weighing down but it seems fine. Is it possible it could be the striker? Any ideas would be helpful

Thanks

We'll need more info, but it reminds me of a 245 I knew years ago where the owner accidentally backed the car and caught the open driver door on a pole :omg:. The door got pulled at least 4 to 6 inches beyond the normal stop, which I think must have bent some sheet metal where the hinges bolt to the body.

In this case the door still closed pretty much ok, but there was some resistance. That door sure liked to open way more than any other door from then on.
Dave B.

There's like alot of pressure on the door. Opening from the inside or outside as you pull the handle there a blast of resistance at the end and it pops open. Maybe something has manipulated causing excess pressure on certain parts.

Also as I stated earlier if you try to close the door normal it catches but then pushes back out partially closing. If I close it hard it will stick and stay closed.

Worn hinges can cause the door to sag and make the door close improperly. If you do the hinge it's tough to get the door to line up properly again. My 240 door is off ever since i replaced the hinge because the "stay open" arm was broken off. Anyways, my latch and striker are now wearing down and the pin on the new hinge has even been popping out!! Knocked it back in, but it pops out again eventually.

First and easiest thing to check is the lock itself mounted on the door jam. It is held on by the two Trox or Phillips headed bolts and will come off and go back on without issue. Corroded up insides of the lock is what breaks all the door handles and ends up misaligned with the striker.

Get that operating freely and you won't stop until you do the other three.

Back