• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 Steering Column Weld

Vol242vo

Keep it clean...
Is this normal? Looks like pretty bad welds, never noticed it in my previous 240...

5930_B308-5364-4206-_BCF1-_BC8_C31_EDE1_E5.jpg

Don't remember that being there on any of my early 240s. These cars are so old now you never know what kind of bodge has been done to them. Were these parts replaced on your car? Or maybe damage
from an impact?

Mine broke in that spot just from autocrossing, I think it's supposed to give way in a crash, I used 2 hose clamps, a piece of PVC pipe cut in half and some steel stick epoxy to fix mine.

Thanks guys I kind of thought that was the case...bummer. Just another thing to sort out, no biggie. Thanks 2manyturbos, 240s are pretty common in Spokane Junkyards luckily.

I don't know what the idea was (probably something they were trialing to deflect crash energy but ended up deciding didn't make enough difference to be worth it), but my '80 had a perforation there as well, and also broke... also at an autocross, lol. My '74s didn't have it, and the '84 column I used as a replacement also didn't.

Back