• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What is your best combination...

RR

of beefier turbo and camshaft for '91 turbo cars? I just want another 20-40hp and some get go torque when needed. I have Turbo plus, also. Live in foothills, where max speed is around 75mph.

I'm guessing something from RSI for cam and springs set, and maybe a rebuilt TDO4HL-16t.

Thoughts...

RR

Yeah, there would be a budget...

in the $400-600 plus or minus.

Thanks again.

of beefier turbo and camshaft for '91 turbo cars? I just want another 20-40hp and some get go torque when needed. I have Turbo plus, also. Live in foothills, where max speed is around 75mph.

I'm guessing something from RSI for cam and springs set, and maybe a rebuilt TDO4HL-16t.

Thoughts...

RR

the best 20-40hp can come from ditching the turbo plus and plugging in a manual boost controller and turning up the boost. Do the cam if you have money to burn, or spend it on an electronic boost controller and a good wideband controller.

RSI is out of business, no dice on a cam new from them. I'd say just do the turbo swap, either 15G or 16T (15G is easier to find), MBC, and make sure you have a decent exhaust.

Wideband first and then Full 3" downpipe and exhaust, TD04HL-15G off an 850, IPD turbo cam, and some form of an upgraded Intercooler. Figure $1000-1600 for all of it but the car will wake up and be much more fun to drive.

Do I need to unplug Turbo +...

to run with a mbc?

the best 20-40hp can come from ditching the turbo plus and plugging in a manual boost controller and turning up the boost. Do the cam if you have money to burn, or spend it on an electronic boost controller and a good wideband controller.

You should be able to get 20hp pretty easy with a MBC or a Kinugawa wastegate on a 13C. Factory waste gate opens around 5psi. I'm running 8-10psi in my '95. An 'A' camshaft is cheap, and advanced 4 degrees at the crank will bring back the low end you sacrificed over the 'T' cam, but the 'A' with be silky smooth to the higher revs. Run higher octane gas to lessen worries of knocking. IPD bars, and it's a fine DD.

I just went for the low hanging fruit. I think I paid $60 for the slotted 'A' cam, shipped from a friend in the EU, and $50-60 for the wastegate actuator on fleaBay. I already had an adjustable cam gear, but these aren't super spendy. IPD has them, though I recommend something from Classic Swede or STS machining. Both are members here and sell fine products.

-Ryan

Because you still have the same restriction at the turbo. Better to swap to flat flange or angle flange and run either 2.5? or 3? down pipe to let the turbo breathe, then 2.5? or 3? from there all the way back. Even doing a 3? down to 2.5 at the cat or resonator is going to be way better than 2.25? for 3 feet then up to 2.5 after.

So an A cam is slotted...

for our 7/9 turbos?

Thanks

You should be able to get 20hp pretty easy with a MBC or a Kinugawa wastegate on a 13C. Factory waste gate opens around 5psi. I'm running 8-10psi in my '95. An 'A' camshaft is cheap, and advanced 4 degrees at the crank will bring back the low end you sacrificed over the 'T' cam, but the 'A' with be silky smooth to the higher revs. Run higher octane gas to lessen worries of knocking. IPD bars, and it's a fine DD.

I just went for the low hanging fruit. I think I paid $60 for the slotted 'A' cam, shipped from a friend in the EU, and $50-60 for the wastegate actuator on fleaBay. I already had an adjustable cam gear, but these aren't super spendy. IPD has them, though I recommend something from Classic Swede or STS machining. Both are members here and sell fine products.

-Ryan

Because you still have the same restriction at the turbo. Better to swap to flat flange or angle flange and run either 2.5” or 3” down pipe to let the turbo breathe, then 2.5” or 3” from there all the way back. Even doing a 3” down to 2.5 at the cat or resonator is going to be way better than 2.25” for 3 feet then up to 2.5 after.

To get 20-40 more hp? lol.

MBC and 93 octane. Hack the exhaust off if you hate your neighbors.

OP, you really will find performance gains from a better flowing exhaust housing and downpipe, but for 20-40 hp I don't think it's necessary. You can achieve your goal for about $25 with a MBC from amazon. Use the remaining money to buy and install a good widwband to monitor future mods.

Last edited:
for our 7/9 turbos?

Thanks

All these cams come in slotted not-slotted depending on application. You may find a slotted 'A' from certain Penta motors, though Volvo used them in passenger cars in other markets. An 'A' cam is a cheap upgrade.

-Ryan

OP, you really will find performance gains from a better flowing exhaust housing and downpipe, but for 20-40 hp I don't think it's necessary. You can achieve your goal for about $25 with a MBC from amazon. Use the remaining money to buy and install a good widwband to monitor future mods.

If you're gonna MBC, at least throw some bucks at Yoshifab and support Volvo people.

Just use the money saved to buy beer.

-Ryan

Yeah, I stand by my statement. Better response from the turbo brings boost in earlier, which is where your torque is, earlier and flatter torque curve gives you better seat feel without blowing the guts out. Personally, I wouldn?t even think about upping the boost without a wideband. That just sounds like a good way to pop something.

And a simple mbc can be whipped up with the following
1- 1/8? NPT tee
2- 1/8? NPT hose barbs
1- 1/8? NPT plug
1- clicker ball point pen
1- 1/4-20x1.5? bolt
1- 1/4-20 nut
1- 1/4? stainless ball bearing.

Total runs about 7.50$ at the plumbing shop, oh and FREE SHIPPING!

I wasn?t meaning that modded exhaust alone would give the end result he?s hoping for, but it certainly wakes up things down low. And hey look, once that?s out of the way, you don?t have to do it again.

You raise good points as usual. Guess I’m just used to insta-torque because +t. Boost comes in instantly and lights the tires up (in the cold with stock tires).

Back