• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The 75 242 DL

Yes. It's nice having it back. And the repair looks spot on. I'll try and get better images on the weekend.

Supercharger will go on.

I'm working out somethings with Ian, and other fun things for the car at the moment.

So, I finally got to look at the car under normal lighting and not being rushed back to work after I parked it in the driveway...

This is fender work.

The metal work is pretty awesome. The color matching is pretty spot on.

The only issue is this... They painted over very small, never noticeable lines in the paint before it was hit with out prepping it.

I was not notified of the potential issue that area would have, and it was not part of the accident repair cost.

The lines are extremely noticeable. It's rather unfortunate.

Last edited:
Looks like that fender now has clear coat on it while the rest of the car does not. Ask if they used single stage or 2 stage paint. In either case they should have prepped the entire fender and not just a blend job considering the fender showed signs of lines/ scratches/ whatever it is that is in that pic.

Nah.. I'm not touching up the fender again for now.

The only option is to wet sand those parts to get rid of the difference in height, but that would make the paint waaay to shiny. It would look worst than the lines now. I'm not risking it.

It's clear coat yes.

It would cost too much to blend the fender into the rest of the car and by the **** standards and values insurance companies views cars at, it would total it. Body work is freaking expensive.

im closing out the claim asap so I can move to a better insurance.

That's unacceptable. Are you going to bring it back and have them repaint the fender again?

Agreed. The body shop screwed up on that one. Bummer that it's a base/clear paint job on the fender, because with time it won't match the rest. If it were me, I'd still keep an eye out for a clean early blue fender to replace it with.

But on the bright side, it's back together and driving. And the rest of the car has some patina anyway, so it's not going to stand out as a nasty blemish on an otherwise perfect car. It's just a really clean and excellent looking, well-preserved, driver-condition car. Nothing in the world wrong with that!

That looks like they painted over and old repair on the back part of that fender. If they had fixed that too, then they most likely would have had to blend the paint onto the left door.

I work at a body shop, and we run into this all of the time. The insurance companies will only pay to repair and paint the damage area. We put color or base over the primered repair, then we clear coat the entire panel. If you take the color/base all the way back to the rear edge of the panel then you'd see a significant color difference between the 2 panels. If they had fixed that rear area too then there would also have been a color difference to the door requiring blending.

Did they give you an estimate to fix the rear part of the fender and blend the door? Usually we give the customer the opportunity to pay out of pocket to fix the unrelated damages.

Take a thin magnet to different areas of the fender and it will show you how much bondo is in it.

IMO that fender should have been replaced, and the door should have been blended.

Last edited:
That looks like they painted over and old repair on the back part of that fender. If they had fixed that too, then they most likely would have had to blend the paint onto the left door.

I work at a body shop, and we run into this all of the time. The insurance companies will only pay to repair and paint the damage area. We put color or base over the primered repair, then we clear coat the entire panel. If you take the color/base all the way back to the rear edge of the panel then you'd see a significant color difference between the 2 panels. If they had fixed that rear area too then there would also have been a color difference to the door requiring blending.

Did they give you an estimate to fix the rear part of the fender and blend the door? Usually we give the customer the opportunity to pay out of pocket to fix the unrelated damages.

Take a thin magnet to different areas of the fender and it will show you how much bondo is in it.

IMO that fender should have been replaced, and the door should have been blended.
From a restoration guys stand point versus a body/paint guy...
On a pristine original car I'm trying to preserve originality on I often do just one panel. And I'd never clear coat. To me clear coat stands out just as much as having a different shade of color. Production shops like to blend with clear because it's cheaper and easier than painting a panel multiple times if necessary to get the right shade. It's also important to rejuvenate the cars entire paint job first (high level professional cut/polish/wax) so proper matching can be done.
This is both expensive and time consuming. Often frustrating trying to get it right. But end result is worth it when trying to preserve a cars originality.

Time for some more happy items to come into the thread.

Small update. More like a list of things to do or need to order.

Engine related:

First on the list. The crank pulley is in the que at the machinist. I might have it by mid February. Just guessing. He was busy, but he is clearing his list.

Second on the list. Big bore B20 block with street performance in mind. Nothing crazy. Engine is in the que, but it will be done depending on parts arrival times... etc.

Third on the list. Fuel system research. Mostly me looking around for parts to compliment the addition of a few psi.

Forth on the list: complete supercharger bracket and tensioner design. Order pulley belt.

Fifth on the list: fabricate the intake piping and brackets, as well as, the supercharger bypass valve wiring and electronic control setup.

Suspension and brakes Related:

Sixth on the list: Rear R brake setup to compliment the front R brakes. The car is way too front bias even with the proportionate valve removed. Slotted rotors all around and some ferodo pads should be a blast. I have all the parts needed to swap the rear brake, except the rotors, and pads.

Interior and miscellaneous stuff

Seventh on the list: Finish the interior wiring.

That's it. Then this project will be completed.

Not sure why I hadn't see this car yet. You've done everything just right! Props dude. What width wheels are those?

This car is like a stubborn little kid.

It decided to say **** you. I'm not leaving your street.

Lower alternator bolt sheared off. The oil is coming out breather box thing.
The engine is making a new sound now. This engine is coming out of the car. And sitting in the drive way until the new one comes in.

I'm so pissed. This engine was apart for a year and it wasn't rebuilt then. Nothing more I hate than wasting time.

No Davis this year...again.

Back