• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Exhaust cracked under axle

noexit

My exhaust has cracked under my axle. What's wrong here that would cause this? I noticed it after I put the right side on jack stands. With the right side of the car supported at the jack point, left wheel on the ground, the axle touches the exhaust, and probably cracked it. Am I jacking or supporting the car wrong, or is my exhaust installed wrong?

I only see under axle, non-turbo kits on FCP.

That guy doesn't know what he is talking about, blabbered some random stuff in my wanted thread as well. I haven't seen over axle exhaust for my wagon as well on IPD/FCP. But I bet you if you go to muffler shop and pay them $50-$100, they will cut your broken piece under axle and weld new one over if you want.

That guy doesn't know what he is talking about, blabbered some random stuff in my wanted thread as well. I haven't seen over axle exhaust for my wagon as well on IPD/FCP. But I bet you if you go to muffler shop and pay them $50-$100, they will cut your broken piece under axle and weld new one over if you want.
The over axle pipes are NLA from no one. That's what you get, unless you find a not so rusty one that's hen's teeth rare, seeing it was only made for 2 years. See what a shop would charge. US market Volvos all had under axle after 1978. I'd watch your smart mouth if I were you. I'm the last person on this board you want to cross. I could have helped you. I lost interest after you decided NLA NOS parts were too expensive.

Last edited:
The over axle pipes are NLA from no one. That's what you get, unless you find a not so rusty one that's hen's teeth rare, seeing it was only made for 2 years. See what a shop would charge. US market Volvos all had under axle after 1978. I'd watch your smart mouth if I were you. I'm the last person on this board you want to cross. I could have helped you. I lost interest after you decided NLA NOS parts were too expensive.
1st claim FCP has them, then contradict himself after got called out. What are you going to do? How could you have helped me, with what? If you want to we can continue in PM or OT, since you already live the OT life.

1st claim FCP has them, then contradict himself after got called out. What are you going to do? How could you have helped me, with what? If you want to we can continue in PM or OT, since you already live the OT life.
Dude. VOLVO ONLY MADE OVER AXLE EXAUST FOR THE FIRST TWO YEARS OF 240s. Everything after 1978 in the US market had under axle. Do you not read? If he needs a replacement, his replacement will be under axle just like every other 240 after 1978. So the $105 kit from FCP is what he'll get. If he wants custom and willing to pay for it, go for it.

Last edited:

Lol
You don't know what you're talking about. The clearnence between underaxle exhaust and pipe is tiny when rear suspension is hanging loose

Exhaust hangers go bad. A little adjustment goes a long way.

Do you even bro
Centason has been here before you discovered self pleasure.

Op I have an over axle nos setup. I can take pictures on Monday

Last edited:
I've never understood buying exhaust in kits. Other than buying a muffler or the downpipe set up I bought from white855T here I've always had a muffler shop handle my exhaust. Around here you can usually find a mom and pop shop that has 3 hard working sweaty guys in a small shack that can knock out an exhaust before you can say pipe bender.

He77 the last time I had exhaust work done, my car was in the air.....one guy had the sawzall laying across my exhaust ready to cut, the other had a torch in hand....as the third guy and I made the final decision on what size. It was like someone said "GO".....and pipe commenced to falling and sparks blazing. 30 minutes later I was backing my car off the lift. Maybe its a southern thing.

I've never understood buying exhaust in kits. Other than buying a muffler or the downpipe set up I bought from white855T here I've always had a muffler shop handle my exhaust. Around here you can usually find a mom and pop shop that has 3 hard working sweaty guys in a small shack that can knock out an exhaust before you can say pipe bender.

He77 the last time I had exhaust work done, my car was in the air.....one guy had the sawzall laying across my exhaust ready to cut, the other had a torch in hand....as the third guy and I made the final decision on what size. It was like someone said "GO".....and pipe commenced to falling and sparks blazing. 30 minutes later I was backing my car off the lift. Maybe its a southern thing.

Haha same in the north. The guys there thought it was hilarious when I wanted a redneck truck side exit on my volvo... can't wait for my real exhaust to be put in on Monday

I've never understood buying exhaust in kits.

It's nice when you don't have a welder and you can crawl under the car and install a kit [especially a genuine Volvo one that fits right] with simple hand tools yourself in a couple hours.

The same couple hours or less it would take to drive somewhere, hang out while they do it, and then drive home.

BTDT several times for less than a welded up jobbie from an exhaust place.

:e-shrug:

Last edited:
It's nice when you don't have a welder and you can crawl under the car and install a kit [especially a genuine Volvo one that fits right] with simple hand tools yourself in a couple hours.

The same couple hours or less it would take to drive somewhere, hang out while they do it, and then drive home.

BTDT several times for less than a welded up jobbie from an exhaust place.

:e-shrug:

Crap I still crawl on my back. It's nice to go under there with basic tools and fix it :nod:

Lol
You don't know what you're talking about. The clearnence between underaxle exhaust and pipe is tiny when rear suspension is hanging loose

Exhaust hangers go bad. A little adjustment goes a long way.

Do you even bro
Centason has been here before you discovered self pleasure.

Op I have an over axle nos setup. I can take pictures on Monday

:nod::nod:

Back