• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1987 245: Lost turn signals after instrument cluster reinstall

HatredSerge

The saga continues.....

After pulling my instrument cluster to put in new backlighting and see if re-attaching the Speedo L-Connector would bring back my speedometer or not; I have developped another unforeseen gremlin. Trying to figure out if this is me being an idiot or something deeper.....

After reinstalling the cluster, plugging everything back in, my turn signals are gone! Left me swearing at an inaninamite object "wtf 245, you were working fine on me before!" I have a spare blue wire that I cannot seem to find a proper place to connect to, but I cant remember if/where it was plugged in when I pulled the cluster (see photo below, hence reason to believe I am being an idiot). I am not sure if the turn signals pull their power from the L connector like the rest of the cluster, or if I am not re-installing properly. The 4-way flashers work still though, and light up on the cluster and on the outside of the car, but no turn signals.

It could be the Stalk or the hazard relay, but I dont think these are faulty since A. the flashers still work and B. my stalk was literally working fine until I pulled out the cluster.
I already changed fuses 9 and 13 and theyre getting power, so I dont think the fault lies there.

I suspect either a. I am a moron and didnt reinstall my cluster properly or B. I think I might have a bad processor or speedometer internals that are causing both my turn signals and speedometer to be bunk. Just trying to troubleshoot a bit more before I send my cluster off for remanufacturing.

Has anyone ever had this happen on an 85-88 LH2.2 240 before? Also anyone happen to have an '87 wiring diagram they could share (please and thank you!)?

IMG-20190805-163335-365.jpg

Last edited:
Soooo recent development: I've done some homework with wiring diagrams and Dave Barton's archives once again comes thru:

https://www.240turbo.com/240gaugewiring.html

Pretty sure my fault lies in Connector #31 - the 12 pin connector that plugs into the cluster behind the gas and temp gauges seems to feed power to the turn signals. I am going to try and reconnect it with some dielectric grease and a cleaning of the prongs and see if that brings the turn signals back, if not I imagine that I either:

A. Broke the brittle 32 y/o wires for the turn signals (the blue and green ones, 31/7 and 31/8) in that 12 pin connector and need to have it rewired.

B. My already broken cluster circuitry (processor or capacitors, solder points literally whatever, I wont know without opening it up) broke further when I removed it and need to have my cluster rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing.

Am I getting warmer?

Other than the indicator light, the cluster has nothing to do with the turn signals so I doubt it's
the problem.

Here's the wiring greenbook for '87 240/260.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160623101502/http://volvowiringdiagrams.com/volvo/240%20Wiring%20Diagrams/TP31054-1%201987%20240%20Wiring%20Diagrams.pdf

Indeed, the cluster is not the problem. That wiring diagram was very helpful, thanks!

If the cluster arrows are lighting up when the hazard switch is on, then the cluster wiring for the turn signals is OK. I'd chase the wiring from the stalk and see if it has a poor connection or damage.

I _think_ the blue wire in your picture is the speed output from the speedometer to a shift indicator relay. It plugs into the back of the cluster just above the L-shaped speedo connector. It's P/2 on the very bottom of the instrument panel page in the greenbook.

Problem resolved: I had a bad ground coming off the flasher relay. Cleaned and reinstalled the grounds + fresh fuse and my signals came back!! Yay

Thanks everyone for the advice

Back