• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bigger 242 brakes question

You will need 17”wheels at a minimum to run 330mm rotors from the R brakes or Cadillac brakes.

I am thinking of getting the 16? Voxx wheels from iPad and that got me thinking about options for bigger brakes, any ideas?

I don't know if IPD provides them with the wheels, but you will also need 'tuner' lug nuts and centering rings for the Voxx. You can't get a standard 19mm lug nut on.

Bigger looking brakes?
RX7 calipers and 9 series rotors work well. You end up with the about the same brake torque, but a larger rotor and aluminum caliper to help with heat dissipation.

I'm currently working on a big brake kit for a 240, with a few rotor and caliper options. Plan on a bolt on solution for the front costing about $900-1500 depending on rotor and caliper selection.

16" Voxxen are only about 17lb - 0.5-1lb heavier than Hydras if I remember my measurements from a decade ago correctly.

They're not really any worse for durability, I suspect. I had a pothole incident that blew out a shock, cracked a lower ball joint holder, and bent a strut tube... and the 16" Voxx I had on that corner was no worse for wear.

They also don't really clear anything brake-wise that Hydras don't - both clear RX7 brakes, but some 15"ers (notably Aries) also do that. RX7 brakes are in a weird valley where they don't really aren't much of an upgrade, either - the bigger rotors dissipate heat better, but their cylinder sizing is such that you lock the rears first, defeating the purpose of going to bigger brakes, unless you play with alternate master cylinders or proportioning valves, defeating the purpose of being a cheap zero-thought bolt-on upgrade.

From reports those vox wheels are kind of soft and heavy.

In three-ish years of racing we only ever bent them by hitting things; Miatas, k-walls, etc.

They can be had cheap, brakes cool well under them, bigger rubber fits them, and they look tits. What?s not to like? 8)

Back