• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 CR-824 radio not working

hessam69

Hi,

In my 1991 940 with CR-824 factory radio, it's not working. The LCD display doesn't light up, and no sound comes out of the speakers other than loud crackling/static.

Is this a radio or amp problem?

What do I do?

And no, I am not going to put a CD or MP3 player in there.

Thanks

I've never done anything with factory radio's because everything I've had has had aftermarket units in them - but I suppose if the screen is blank it must be either theirs no power going to it or it might be dead (As you should be able to get stations etc. even with a dead screen)

Have you tried a cassette?

I think when my antenna was earthing to the chassis I was getting pretty bad static, the problem fixed itself though but I could hear the indicators though the radio.

It's probably dead, usually it can be fixed by a repair guy, spraying it with electronics cleaner won't fix it. Honestly surprising it worked this long! Do you have access to a small 12V power supply? You can bench test the head unit by removing from the car, thus ruling out car specific wiring problems. But since the display is dead, that is a big problem that indicates something internal blew out.

This leaves you with the option to attempt to find a repair shop, find another '90's era Volvo stereo, or do the really easy thing and buy one of those newfangled cd players which would update you to the late 90's, not sure what you don't like about having a modern stereo. Everything about them is better, car audio has come a very long way in the last 30 years, one main example is the RCA level outputs being sent at 4 or more volts vs millivolts in old stereos. This means the music is cleanly amplified by several times before it even gets to your amp. Unless you have an antique Volvo amp in there. Anyway, hope you can get it fixed, good luck.

Hearing engine noise or turn signals through the speakers is always a ground problem, usually a bad/loose/undersized/poorly placed ground or a ground loop.

Back