• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Got my 8.8 in my 240

lt1240

After my Dana in my '77 244 started making lots of noise and shedding teeth, I figured it was time for the Ford 8.8. I found a donor from a '95 Explorer w/ 3.73 gears and a posi and got to work.

Old vs. New

Brackets removed

I have the left side axle tube shortened to match the right side to allow me to run two right side axle shafts like many others here have done.

First mock up in the snow

Brackets TIGed on and axle tubes fulley welded

Reassembled and painted

Just needed a conversion U-Joint for the drive shaft to work (1310-1330)

1310 vs. Conversion Joint

Dressed up and ready to go, representin' Sweden

In ya go

Back on her feet

All-in-all it was a pretty straight forward project. I added adjustable torque arms but I don't have any pics. The 8.8 works well and should be ready for whatever the old LT can throw at her!:-D

You moved from Oklahoma?

Yeah, I moved down here a few weeks ago, I still work in Oklahoma though.

looks good. it is an easier swap then people think. do you have a vent tube? if not you will want to add one..

I've got a vent. I plugged the ABS sensor hole with a -10 Port plug and because the plug I used was hollow, I was able to drill and tap it for my 1/8 pipe vent. Worked out well.

8.8 swap info

Is there a thread somewhere that covers the steps necessary to install the 8.8 ford diff into a 240? I'm interested in doing this, but want to know what all is involved. I didn't realize that it would need to be shortened, for example. I realize that all the mounting brackets need to be installed. Is the overall width of the 8.8 different from the 240 diff?

What rotors can you run? I'm guessing you're using the ford axles with the ford bolt pattern (5 x 4.5)?
Other than using the conversion u-joint was any other modifications needed to the driveshaft?

The 8.8 I'm looking at using is out of a Fox Mustang. I'm planning on using axles out of a Ranger.
Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks.

Nice... Its not hard to find a explorer in the jy nowadays either.. Did youi have the axles redrilled or did you just use a set of 5x4.5" steelies?

sayo, you mind if I come check you out sometime? I hit up FW and such from time to time, would like to see this thingeroo.

Is there a thread somewhere that covers the steps necessary to install the 8.8 ford diff into a 240? I'm interested in doing this, but want to know what all is involved. I didn't realize that it would need to be shortened, for example. I realize that all the mounting brackets need to be installed. Is the overall width of the 8.8 different from the 240 diff?

What rotors can you run? I'm guessing you're using the ford axles with the ford bolt pattern (5 x 4.5)?
Other than using the conversion u-joint was any other modifications needed to the driveshaft?

The 8.8 I'm looking at using is out of a Fox Mustang. I'm planning on using axles out of a Ranger.
Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks.

There are a few threads on here that cover this swap. I'm not sure how wide the Mustang or Ranger rear ends are but when you narrow the Explorer rear is ~1.5" wider overall when you narrow the driver side axle tube (2 15/16") to match the passenger side.

I kept the Ford 5x4.5" bolt pattern and plan to change the front to the match in the future mainly for wheel choices.

'95 and up Explorers came with disc brakes on back so I used the stock Ford brakes and just had to make new hard lines to feed the calipers. Just be careful where you run the lines. I put mine on top of the axle tubes and realized once I got the rear end under the car the brake lines are right under the bump stops. :grrr:

The driveshaft is a one piece and I have a T56 trans so it's a lot different from stock. I didn't have to shorten it though so I guess the pinion sits in about the same place as the Dana.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Nice... Its not hard to find a explorer in the jy nowadays either.. Did youi have the axles redrilled or did you just use a set of 5x4.5" steelies?

Yeah, Exploders are very easy to find, I had my choice of gears when I got mine up to 4:10s. I kept the Ford pattern and plan to change the front when I some '82 up spindles and hubs.

Back