• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 B230ft Head re-fresh

TempleUWS6

So I have a '94 B230ft with 80k miles I pulled from the junkyard that I'm going to swap into my 245, and when I pulled the timing cover, I noticed the backing piece for the cover was melted. Fearing an overhead could of warped it, I decided to pull the head and I'd like to have it checked out. First time dealing with any kind of motor machine work, what should I have done on a budget? Have them check to head to make sure its flat, would it be worth while to have it hot tanked or anything else while its at the machine shop?

I have an A cam that I might swap in, but as far as shimming and all that good stuff, I'd just do it myself.

Last edited:
Have it decked and hot tanked at a minimum. I hear of lots of people wanting to deck aluminum heads when removed, regardless of if it’s been overheated or not. Of course it isn’t necessary, but it assures a very clean mating surface for reinstallation. Shiny pretty parts = more power.

You could also have your machinist lap the valves, or even a full out valve job with cutting new angles.

But you said on a budget...at 80k miles (you sure that’s accurate?) just deck and hot tank.

Just my opinion

But you said on a budget...at 80k miles (you sure that?s accurate?) just deck and hot tank.

Thats what I was thinking, if its not warped, at least I'll have a clean surface for the new HG.

Pretty sure 80k is accurate, odo said '84k and a timing belt change sticker on the cover says it was done in 2013 @ 79k.

I might do some mild porting to match the gaskets. I'm not looking for a full performance squeeze, just a nice runner.

Thats what I was thinking, if its not warped, at least I'll have a clean surface for the new HG.

Pretty sure 80k is accurate, odo said '84k and a timing belt change sticker on the cover says it was done in 2013 @ 79k.

I might do some mild porting to match the gaskets. I'm not looking for a full performance squeeze, just a nice runner.

Be sure to get all the shavings out of there when you're done. Doing it before the deck and hot tank would make the most sense.

How do the valve seats look? Could do valve stem seals too..but at 80k they shouldn't
be leaking.

Back