• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What oil do you currently use?

darkmountain

I know I know this has been covered before on here but I thought I?d try to get a current pole before I change the oil on my wife and i?s 240s.

Both are non turbo 93?s mine has 208k and my wife?s has around 150k. We live in the Carolinas where our winters rarely get below 30 degrees and summers are hot in the upper 90?s.

I ask this because I can finally change our oil myself as we finally live in a house where I can use my tools. Our local mechanic did them due to our old apartment not allowing tenants to work on their cars in the parking lot.

My mechanic uses 5w30 with a Volvo filter. I have read posts in the past and just wanted check in to see what other people use/prefer for their redblocks currently.I know these engine are tough and will take basically anything. But hey we love our cars and I see no harm in being picky.

Both cars get a lot of in city driving with stop and go traffic. If you have any 2 cents to throw my way I?d be appriceative to hear it.

Brotella T6 5w-40 and a Mann filter

/thread

It's cheap full synthetic and comes in a 4qt jug so no measuring BS, just drain your old oil and pour the whole jug in.

Is it synthetic or dino oil? I use synthetic Rotella T6 in the around town 93 wagon. It's 5w-40 which I like because of the slightly thicker hot viscosity. I changed the car to it about 265k miles. I used to use 10-40 warren soot slayer truck oil in it before I changed to the rotella.

Is it synthetic or dino oil? I use synthetic Rotella T6 in the around town 93 wagon. It's 5w-40 which I like because of the slightly thicker hot viscosity. I changed the car to it about 265k miles. I used to use 10-40 warren soot slayer truck oil in it before I changed to the rotella.

I?ve been thinking about switching to Rotella diesel. A friend of mine swears by it in his 240. I also like the thought of the thicker hot viscosity as well. I often hear a little piston slap after a hot start. Would this help with that at all? I?ve also wanted to switch to synthetic as well.

I?ve been thinking about switching to Rotella diesel. A friend of mine swears by it in his 240. I also like the thought of the thicker hot viscosity as well. I often hear a little piston slap after a hot start. Would this help with that at all? I?ve also wanted to switch to synthetic as well.

It?s likely not piston slap if you hear it when warm.

10w-40 or 20w-50 Mobil 1 in my '92 240 with 240k miles, some piston slap, and over 100,000 miles with a turbo installed. With a Mann filter. I go almost a year, or about 8-10k miles. It's still got some leaks and it consumes a little, so it sees a fresh quart of oil once in a while between changes. ;-)

In a non-turbo 240, I'd use 10w-30 or 10w-40 Mobil 1. I wouldn't change it very often.

OP looking for oil for this climate.

?We live in the Carolinas where our winters rarely get below 30 degrees and summers are hot in the upper 90?s. ?

Are you saying the manual is incorrect?

No, I would also run a 10w-30 if I wasn?t running rotella. I?m just saying 5w-30 will be thinner at lower temps but the same viscosity once warm. Being 5w will not harm anything at 30F.

I have a gallon of Rotella T6 and a black mahle filter ready to be put on, going to be my second oil change with Rotella and everything runs great.

I've run Amsoil XL 10w-30 with Mann filters in my 240 since I've owned it. Didn't know the maintenance history when I picked up the car, but it had a no-name Chinese oil filter so I didn't expect the best. No piston slap during cold start, and I've only had to top it off once over a handful of oil changes. Oil analysis from Blackstone have all come back clean with no issues either.

Back