• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1986 240-Daily driver suitable?

jangus

Considering picking up a cheap 1986 240 to use around town and occasional short trips. 109,000 miles, A/C is not functional, body is pretty clean. Any problem areas to look at? Mechanical issues with this generation?
Appreciate any guidance.

Look up doing a 'stage zero'. I bet you can get the ac working pretty easily too. If it isn't a complete turd, then buy it.

What years had the bad wiring harnesses?

But I daily a 83 244 without any problems, its a bit sluggish going up hill but its all comparative to everyone else zipping around in their plastic fantastic garbage. 15min to work/to home and a bit of a longer drive every now and again.

Just do a filter change, tighten the cam belt (let off the tensioner and tighten it back up again, should spring itself tight) and keep an eye on oil levels.

My wife drove an 86 244 for six years and then sold it for more than we bought it for. If you’re a competant do it yourselfer it’s a great option. Like any older vehicle if you can’t or don’t want to work on it I’d stay away.

It’s certainly not a fast car and the fuel economy isn’t great but it’s realiable, parts are reasonably affordable and available and just about any repair can be handled in your own garage with only a few special tools.

Back