• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Thunder

vos

Ok ok, I know, I have posted on my site a million times, but pride in one's volvo is probably the least of sins :twisted: ! Here it is:

http://www.maroon.com/iss/745conversion

Oh yeah, and I have indeed removed the custom strut brace, I got several comments from guys/gals I trust here and at BrickBoard and the consensus was it would hurt the struts... Just FYI cause the link is still there.

There was a message a while ago about his strut brace that went from teh actual strut tops, not the towers. The struts need to pivot and flex somewhat as that is how they work, I think he is remaking it to ggo from tower to tower, unless we are talking about some other subject...

That is exactly right, the consensus indicated two main side affects having the strut-to-strut brace configured how I had it (connecting the actual strut tubes to one another):

[1] Changing camber on the wheels when the outer-wheel strut compressed in the turn, since the rise on the top-bolt (of the strut) would be translated to the other strut as outward deflection, resulting in positive camber changes on both wheels (or at least I think that is what they meant!).

[2] Loading the struts themselves in unusual ways, since the top-bolt on the strut is not really load bearing from the top, rather, the strut tube housing bears the load, so there maybe premature wear on the strut from this... I am not too sure I am really worried that this would really happen, but since the Bilstiens cost a pretty penny I figured better safe than sorry!

Thanks 8)

I looked at your site, your car looks pretty nice, I have a 740 sedan in that year and it rips.
But what troubled me a lot is that on the site u said that ure plannign to take out the AW70 and replace it with an AW71. If ure going to go as far as replacing the whole transmission, then why would u ever f@#!ing change change and automatic to an automatic???? If u have the resources to put in a whole new tranny than why not get a manual? like an m46. Its not the best one out there, but theyre plentifull and easy to maintain since thats the one that was sold with the cars in the first place.
I just dont understand.

Man,

Don't knock the auto's. For drag racing and daily driving they are the best, and they can be built up to handle lots of HP (though, the aw71 has rather low limits compared to others, but I bet it could handle 400hp w/ the right mods, and lots of money).

Actually I did the tranny and engine swap at the same time, a few months ago... The reason I went with the AW71 is just as the previous poster mentioned, they can handle slightly more HP than the M46, and I was already several thousand into the project...money got sort of tight! Plus, the AW71 was sold to me in excellent condition for $250, not a bad deal:) In the end, I like auto's for daily driving...lots easier than clutching constantly in Houston traffic!

Now, if you want to talk about tranny swaps, I do plan on dropping in the 5 speed manual into my S70 which has an auto right now... That will be a bear, and I might hold off to see if I can buy the 6 speed slated for the new V70R model next year... I expect it to be between $1000-$2000 new? Maybe wishful thinking, but I heard the current 5 speeds are only $1200 new from Volvo? Ok, I am doing some serious bench racing now so I better just stop there :wink:

Back