• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

87 245 rear swap

Rockbum

My differential is probably going to be taking a **** soon. I figured it would be easier to swap the whole rear end, then to just replace the diff. So I am curious as to what other rears I can put in without to much modifications, and be an upgrade from what I have. I would like to find a lsd if possible.

If you go thru all that trouble, make sure to replace the bushings and rubber brake lines, it will be easier since you'll have it all apart already.

Yes swapping another axle is easier/cheaper, but why do you think you diff is failing?

why not just weld up the diff? cheapest and best lsd!

The diff has been making a horrible noise since about March last year, I finally I had it checked out last month in December. The diff flu I was like water, and the mechanic at the shop said it was probably the pinion bearing. So they put new fluid in it, made no difference. Something bad is definite going on in there, I'm just preparing myself in the mean time for something to completely fail.

What kind of extra work is involved in the 940 swap? I'm down for anything as long as I have the tools.

do all ?95 940?s come with 4:10 ratio? what mods to fit full axle in a 245?

You'd have to set up the ring and pinion, or probably have a gear shop do it only to wind up with the wrong gears as you need 373:1's in a late model 240 automatic.

You're much better off swapping in the correct late 240 automatic rear axle complete.

You need 85-90 240 automatic rear axle complete for a straight swap.

Last edited:
What kind of extra work is involved in the 940 swap? I'm down for anything as long as I have the tools.

Assuming the track width is close enough, cut off all the brackets off both axles, and weld the 240 hardware onto the 940 axle.

Oh, and replumb the brakes.

And figure out a way to make the parking brake cable work.

And cut three quarters of the teeth from the tone ring on the diff carrier.

That's just off the top of my head...

(listen to Redwood, he's right)

Last edited:
There are many ways to go about this.

You could install an aftermarket diff, but you would have to address the speedo pickup. No huge deal.

Your could install a G80, but for the $ and effort, might not be worth the savings over a fresh aftermarket diff.

Even on my stock 240, the open diff sucks in the rain. I can spin inside tire easily when I dump the clutch. I plan to install the free G80 I have on the shelf.

Setting up a differential requires a good amount of skills and tools. Nothing too hard, but cleanliness, organization, and the proper tools will make it much easier.

The hardest part is swapping bearings. A press is used to remove bearings from the differential and also from the pinion. When you change bearings, clearances can change. You will need to measure backlash with dial indicator, bearing preload with inch/lb torque wrench, and use marking compound to measure if the gears are meshing properly. It's a level 8 job, but if you have patience and some tools it will go fine.

A recent thread:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=317405

Back