• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

XC70 / T5 engine swap

imspaeth

I have a 2001 XC70 with the low compression turbo motor and it doesn't run so I want to drop in a high compression T5 motor from a wrecked 2001 S60.

I want to know if anyone out there has done this swap and if so, what kind of things (challenges) I'm probably going to come across.

I'm sure that I'm going to need it tuned to T5 spec because the computer is going to think it's the low compression motor still, causing it to run a lower boost than the T5 motor normally gets.

The first question would be why doesn't the xc engine work? Has the xc had a catastrophic engine failure or is it just not starting, is the engine the actual problem?

The T5 engine would be lower compression with higher boost. Unless you're using the word compression but referring about boost pressure?

Depends on engine years with regards to swapping. Essentially the long blocks are exactly the same. The 2001 will have variable cam timing, so if the T5 engine is also a 2001-2004 then your fine while older engines might not have the variable cams. The xc would have a smaller turbo than the T5 would have.

Swapping long blocks would be no problem provided the T5 engine is 1999 or newer. Getting everything to work correctly may be more work depending oncwhat you're starting with.

Womp womp didn't see you stated a 2001 s60 T5 . Everything is pretty much bolt on swap. T5 turbo is bigger but still bolt on with existing stuff. Ecu is different, sadly car has immobilizer so ecu's can't just be swapped and would require a retune to take advantage of bigger turbo and lower compression engine. But to just get going the engine will swap and still work as good as the xc engine.

Back