• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The 245 GT, or: another BMWolvo

Arn02

As it sits today:

1432dqb.jpg

qwwnb4.jpg

It's about time I start a blog on an international forum. A few years back I started the first iteration of this project, but that got stranded and was scrapped. The car that is.... the stroked engine I kept.

Specs:
M50B25 non-vanos
M54B30 crankshaft, pistons and rods
M52B28 injectors
Decked 0,9mm
Stock camshafts (for now)
Non-turbo

Rotating assembly, making it unofficially an M50B30.
34oo4u9.jpg

Head rebuild.
xp0qv7.jpg

In december 2014 I bought another 245. It rolled of the line in July 1975 and it spent most of its life in the north of Sweden, until it was sold to a Dutchman some 8 years ago who brought it to the Netherlands. It had some bad spots but was still in original paint which I think makes the car honest.

110972t.jpg

238eoy.jpg

15x5weq.jpg

Razor blades.
og9nyg.jpg

Solid.
iokn5u.jpg

Not so solid.
5a2s1j.jpg

Out with the old.
nx5i4g.jpg

23vmf49.jpg

I'd never seen this type of firewall before...
28ck4tw.jpg

I ?stole? a straight set of Rial Imola 17" 8J ET38 wheels for 75,- euro and tested them on 20mm spacers. I've been experimenting with Brembo calipers from an Alfa Romeo.

2lkzihl.jpg

r1h3dk.jpg

8zme88.jpg

The front cross beam was pretty rotten underneat and badly repaired in the past. In stead of spending silly money on a replacement part I decided to fabricate my own out of some 40x60x2 mm tube.

Jig.
1z5tfa0.jpg

Testing.
2w52j2e.jpg

Mounting point.
vrzg5v.jpg

New part.
oh1ljb.jpg

The car had some rusty spots which needed my attention.

ei46k2.jpg

qs8rxv.jpg

an2ams.jpg

25arof5.jpg

dpcrj8.jpg

29v0yes.jpg

smytsh.jpg

ddhkyb.jpg

2dmgzg2.jpg

2dakbgj.jpg

w0qdyt.jpg

2z510gp.jpg

fn4rxh.jpg

2hok1ew.jpg

More later....

Last edited:
I decided to use the M20 flywheel/clutch/starter since it's single mass. I mated the engine with a Getrag 240 because it's an OD gear box, which suits my 3.73 final drive better than a prise-direct.

1j5fd0.jpg

2csdzzd.jpg

n3rfgj.jpg

Since the 240 is normally mated to M40/M42/M44 4-cyl. engines it has a small diameter guibo. The box should be plenty strong to hold the torque of the 3 liter engine, but I may be ripping through guibo's every other week. By coincidence I found that the output flange of a Volvo M47 box has the same splines as the 240. I just had to get 18 mm of using my neighbour's lathe.

2r7c6te.jpg

2dbvsm1.jpg

Then it was time to put the engine in.

29ofhgx.jpg

2lx6npt.jpg

bg5kau.jpg

And I had to make a new mount for the gear box.

14xp6va.jpg

2s6vvnm.jpg

655r7r.jpg

2sbkewk.jpg

Looking good! I wish I had had the balls to take it down as far as you did when I did paint. That's quite the job! That green is nice; glad you stuck with the original color. You don't see that shade too often anymore!

Very nice build and great welding man.
I envy you for the workshop, must be very convenient to drop your tools and find them on exactly the same spot after returning a couple of days later :-P

Thanks! I'm very happy with this color. I was told it was only used for little over a year on the early 240's. I love the '70-ies and the car is full of it.

More of the process....
I had to take several mm off the steering rack to make it fit under the e36 oil pan. I wanted the engine as low and far back as possible; this is the price.

2e1aiwo.jpg

I put a turn buckle in my panhard.

s13iic.jpg

I decided the green car needed a dark brown interior. So I painted some black leather seats brown using Angelus leather paint. So far I'm really happy with how it sticks. Although it does make me crave for cognac, montecristo's and talk about croquet.

28tfl2v.jpg

ru47k5.jpg

2i2bmdy.jpg

Hydrolic clutch pedal conversion.

4j4294.jpg

2rqbvc9.jpg

In-tank pump from a 940 lpt.

8vrhue.jpg

I had to adapt the strut brace that I bought since it was interfering with the brake fluid reservoir and blocking the oil filler. Besides, I needed a bracket for the engine loom and I wanted GT style fire wall struts. One stone, three birds.

2wcpkr9.jpg

2881r20.jpg

aox6rn.jpg

11ru2c3.jpg

66hull.jpg

1zh2qzc.jpg

1z6xn5f.jpg

I used the shifting linkage from a ZF box. I had to adjust only the 1 part of it. An old head bolt fitted perfectly inside the hollow tube, which made extending it as easy as 1,2,3.

2nk8dqf.jpg

i5ojk8.jpg

Last edited:
Update time!

I modified the rear window rubbers by drilling 4 holes in each and cut a U-shape. A friend notified me that new rubbers have these (for draining, obviously).

9jezgm.jpg

2ed8f1z.jpg

E-fan.

3mm aluminium.
2eoi9ug.jpg

Atlas Copco 1-axle cnc.
2j0h8vd.jpg

E-fan installed, alu wet sanded with K400.
14470qv.jpg

In.
142vs49.jpg

I had the window installed by a professional.

167uyix.jpg

As the title says, I wanted a sort of 245GT. Or what it could have been if Volvo ever had made one. Or something.

2wmj1jq.jpg

312xxzm.jpg

1z2hf9e.jpg

14oa9up.jpg

Dave Barton's magic.
140vynl.jpg

Wiring.

BMW connector labeled.
2jwm61.jpg

Soldered and ready to go.
2irsmfd.jpg

I cut of the volvo connector at the bulk head and pulled everthing in.
14l1u00.jpg

2ly615j.jpg

New location.
wlacma.jpg

Mounted the relay & fuses of the e-fan as well.
2nhf8sp.jpg

The fuse box I will eventually use instead of the stock one.
15y6ln5.jpg

Steering.

I had a neighbour who makes aggricultural vehicles make me a pressure hose.
rmpuef.jpg

Made a bracket....
20kzqm1.jpg

5e8zlj.jpg

...because I wanted to use the bmw reservoir which I think is much nicer than the black volvo unit.
2upv0js.jpg

20idwr7.jpg

Prop shaft and exhaust.

I used the rear part of a m47-fitted 240 and the front part and center bearing of an m90-fitted 940. I had the front part 58mm shortened and the whole thing rebalanced.
5ev0ib.jpg

I adjusted m50 headers, made a connection pipe including an 850T cat and used a 240 Turbo 2.5” exhaust. This is temporary to get it through RDW/MOT/DMW or whatever authority you have in your country of origin. Later on I will probably make a 3” stainless system.
23wur7o.jpg

2ezpo9y.jpg

I ordered some hoses and connecting tubes at ASH. Needed to shorten an L-piece which required a new bead. Found a film on youtube on how to make your own bead “roller” so I did that.
2j5knk2.jpg

2a69xts.jpg

Et voila!
10qgztc.jpg

Bead roller diy:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JVDUM2ZxoW0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ready for VKB?
I'd like to say yes..... but I don't think I will. Still so many small but time consuming jobs to do. Plus ever possible gremlins with the engine/gear box/other mechanics. And I have to get it registered as a 6-cilinder vehicle. But Let's hope for the best :)

Fantastic work - do let me know if you decide to sell it at some point in the future, I'd give it a happy home.

I'd like to say yes..... but I don't think I will. Still so many small but time consuming jobs to do. Plus ever possible gremlins with the engine/gear box/other mechanics. And I have to get it registered as a 6-cilinder vehicle. But Let's hope for the best :)

Fingers crossed! I know the feeling :cool:

Back