• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How to pressurize the fuel system

J Volvo

Hello all,

I?m attempting to replace the fuel injection seals as part of a tune up on my 1990 244 DL. I have a Haynes manual that describes the process. I have reviewed a few youtube videos that address the changing of the seals this seems pretty straight forward. I have seen youtube videos on how to relieve the fuel system pressure before removing the fuel rail this also seems pretty straight forward.

The part I am confused about is the process after installing the fuel injectors back into the fuel rail and installing the injectors back into the manifold. The manual states in the last step ?Be sure to pressurize the fuel system and check for leaks before starting the engine?.

Can somebody explain the proper procedure for pressurizing the fuel system and check for leaks before starting the engine back up?

Key cycle it a couple times. LH will prime the pump on key cycle, thus building pressure in the rail.

Not all years run a priming cycle. Confused me on my daughter (long gone) 244.

+1, though it seems that, IME, all of the later model white labels will prime the pumps. Early 90s usually don?t, and I don?t think that any 2.2 cars do. Couldnbe wrong though.

Hell, I?ve even had 2 of the same model number ECUs, one of which primed the pumps, one did not. I think they were pink label 544s??

Best way to do it is to probably jump the fuel pump relay..

On my '90 and '92 the fuel pump relay has a built in delay from cycling the key, takes about 2 minutes IIRC, there is an audible "click" once the delay timer has been reset and the relay will prime the pumps with key cycle.

To prime my fuel rail I just pull the carpet down from under the glove box and repeatedly unplug and plug in the fuel pump relay. If you need constant pressure across the FPR and return line, see post #3. Unplugging and plugging in the relay should yield the results you seek.

Hmm, I've tried easily a half dozen ECU's on mine, all primed. 1 5-series, the rest were 9-series boxes though. The DnO for 2.4 says it should prime as well, but eh, code changes and all that jazz.

Hmm, I've tried easily a half dozen ECU's on mine, all primed. 1 5-series, the rest were 9-series boxes though. The DnO for 2.4 says it should prime as well, but eh, code changes and all that jazz.
5 series could?ve been refurb?d, a lot of them were. Or could just be one of those weird Volvo things.

The 5-series I had was original, no refurb. Went back to PnP as a core after it lost the fuel pump control circuit that those series were prone to lose.

Back