• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(formerly) The $700 1988 245

Couldn't get it no matter how hard I tried, so the trans came out with the engine, which meant emptying the AC and removing the condenser. Again. Don't buy the cheapest engine hoist at HFT.

But it's out. Since the trans is out anyway, would it be worthwhile to slap in the M46 I have in my shed? The M47 in there seems to be holding up but it's pretty damn worn out.

Drives, just not well. Shortened a 780 downpipe to fit since the old exhaust is really bad. It's about 2.5inch vs ~2inch on the old DP. I'll have to get a muffler for it. Needs some little stuff to make it more bearable, but I'm happy it drives. The heart of my old $200 240 lives on. (Until it chucks the rods.)

Old exhaust:

oa0SsTyh.jpg

My leaky crappy AN drain:

cpgxL1Xh.jpg

spg4lb5h.jpg

zFdDq7Ph.jpg

Replaced eBay BOV with a cheapie VW CBV. Mufflers have been ordered. Started ripping into the '93 engine but I need a 12pt socket for the rod caps.

OaK8weVh.jpg

vJKP57Gh.jpg

Tore into the '93 engine. Guess that explains my issues. Need to inspect it more closely, but the rings/bore/bearings all look good so far.

Update. Its got some leaks.

Drove it about an hour on the highway. Managed to leak engine oil, powersteering atf, and coolant. And it made this weird noise in boost. But the clutch slip seems to have gone away somehow. So that's good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CBX6CzgmfZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Zapped a flex pipe to the exhaust, putting in a new water pump, and ordered a rebuild kit for my spare T3 which (I think) leaks oil into the exhaust housing. Still need to take a look at the steering rack. I should also try and set the ignition timing, or something.

fmzbjAqh.jpg

Just in case someone still reads my thread:

72nfrngh.jpg

Guess that's what happens when you take a worn out high mile NA motor and cram extra air into it.

It broke again, 700 miles was too much for this engine. I'll compression test it later to confirm that it is indeed exploded. Started running a little funny and I noticed the boost gauge was super twitchy. Then I lost power. Then trying to get up to speed on the highway it suddenly let out a TON of smoke. Limped it about 60 miles, burping a cloud of smoke every time I lifted off. Felt kinda like it was only running on 3 most of the time. It's leaking oil, but I'm pretty sure the majority of the smoke is coming from the PCV.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eXdMY2CMsnc" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did a full throttle pull when I got close to my house but nothing left the engine block. I was only running wastegate pressure...

Oh boy. 0PSI on #2, 160-170 on the rest.

3CQLxYSh.jpg

KQ6F7psh.jpg

ytA4PePh.jpg

Did I somehow detonate the hell out of it on WG pressure and 93 octane? Kinda looks like something got in there to me, but IDK. You can see the top ring on part of the piston.

I’d start inspecting the parts that stay on the car when you’re swapping these motors in, fuel pumps, LH and EZK units, MAF sensor, stuff like that.

Do you have a WB gauge?

If the turbo glows red, that means it's got enough gas. Or maybe I have that backwards...

:cool:

I think it might just be because the engine was so high miles and worn out. Check out this vid I took when I did the HG.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JvQwbnt3pmM" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, because I totally expected this engine to blow up anyway, I was running a mix of whatever oil was in the garage. It probably has 3 or 4 different weights of oil in it.

I might hack the #2 lobes off an old M cam just to see how long it lasts on 3 cyl... Still gotta get around to rebuilding the '93 engine that was originally in the car. The block is actually in really nice shape. Couldn't see any signs of detonation and I was running 15psi when the piston cracked. (Didn't hurt the bore at all, amazingly.)

honestly don't get how you're managing to blow the motor up. I put an na 240 motor into my car with a 50 trim and have driven it from ct to florida and back with many miles inbetween and after. I've been running 20 psi you've got to be doing something wrong to manage to blow this thing up.

Edit: looking at your posts and at your intake manifold you're actually running NA injectors off a fwd car. no wonder you're running into issues.

Edit: looking at your posts and at your intake manifold you're actually running NA injectors off a fwd car. no wonder you're running into issues.

I thought these were off an 850 turbo or something? They're whatever came with the car, and had no issue with 13psi for a good while. 15psi was when my piston broke.

no those aren't even 850 turbo injectors.

md_20d9eb14-c284-4478-ade7-a58421a8db61.jpg

this is what 850 turbo injectors look like.

then for the v/s/c70 it goes yellow, orange, red (GLT, XC), white, blue, and then for the s60r and v70r it's green (440cc) that's the color from lowest flow rate to highest

Back