• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Accumulator/Tranny Q's

There's videos of guys doing it in the car. It's messy out of the car but if I had to choose between pulling the whole box or just doing it on my back in a 1" bed of kitty litter I'd probably not pull it. I did the mod when I was replacing the motor with a ft so everything was already out.

wow I thought this thread died a while ago. I think for now I will stick to with AW71 and then work on spiffing up the 72L until it craps out. If the problem with the AW72L is the clutches aren't as good, wouldn't the accumulator mod make that less of an issue? At this point I have two spare trannys so I'm just going to experiment with each and see which one I have the best experience with, allthough they're probably all heavily used so who knows if I will get any accurate data.

so I just went to put the transmission (aw71, 1994 940) on, and came up with a problem. The flex plate is too far into the tranny housing. When I took it off weeks ago, I was able to get a pair of vice grips onto edge of the plate so I could hold it while unbolting the plate from t-converter. So now the plate is sitting into the tranny too far by about 1/4 inch. Did I miss something obvious? I believe I have everything lines up and have the spacer/bushing in correctly.

Is the spacer ring on the correct side? Do you happen to have some pics?

I have it assembled as follows starting from engine side to tranny
-Bushing for seating t converter
- thick Spacer on top
-flex plate after spacer, with arrow pointing to crank sensor when at TDC
-t converter slid in alllll the way home
-tranny onto engine and the bam, flex plate appears not to be far enough out, or far enough close to the engine. That said, flex plate seems to be perfect in terms of crank sensor

Here is a pic showing flex plate with everything mounted up

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16PQE3neK1FoulHyuFFOD8GBuam4c_R0F/view?usp=drivesdk

Back